TJ wheel base stretch

You wouldn't want them welded together, or atleast I wouldn't. What you could do is weld say an inch thick tab vertically and make a double sheer tab off the back of the truss and weld it off the back of the truss and bolt um together. Maybe not exactly, but something like that.

I didn't say they should be welded together...I was asking what the cover is made of and then I suggested the possibility of attaching something between the truss and cover that would act as a support, but could also pivot...suggesting that they are not welded together. My immediate idea was that tabs could be welded on the truss or the cover and a tube with a threaded bung welded to the other with a large heim or solid bushing (metal) used at the other point. That would provide the support and allow the cover to be pulled up and away from the diff for servicing...or removed completely.

Sorry man, worked 12 hours last night and hadn't been to bed yet. I see that now. I usually learn things the hard way, a buddy told me to gusset mine and I didn't. Well after paying a shop to use some big hyro jacks to get my pinion pushed back down, I quickly solved the problem.

I understand the point. The honest truth is it is way stronger than the original mounts. Now it is about 3 inches taller and susquently could apply more leverage to the welds than the stock mounts. However; I am running stock horsepower and torque, and am not heavy footed. I never torn away a stock control arm mount and plenty of folks have. I may lower the truss for better clearance and then I would be able to weld the back of it to the axle housing. For now I think it will be just fine.

Well everything is ready for the final photos and test drive but.....Apparently when you move the axle farther back you close the distance between the shock mounting locations, silly right......Yeah forgot to take that into account when I ordered my 5100's sooooo the rears were too long, only had about 2-3" of up travel. So I ordered some slightly shorter ones and they should be here Friday. Final wheel base is just under a 100", 98.5..not bad considering the stock TJ is 93"

Well the new rear shocks arrived, still a little too long (collapsed length). Looks like outboarding the rear shocks is in the future. However that aside, the frame swaybar mounts required relocation farther to the rear. I fabbed up some new mounts and burned them in. I still need a static drive way shot but, until I get it cleaned up for the driveway photo here is the shake down run flex shot. The suspension performed very well, even with the shock length issue.

IMGP2609.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
The website is not much help at this time....it's got "under construction" all over the place.
I have done all my dealings with him over the phone. I have been very pleased with his customer service and prices. He answered countless questions from me while I was deployed and worked with me via email to ensure I got exactly what I wanted. I don't think you'll be disapointed in dealing with him.

So...the rear stretch helped the front flex? That can't be the best picture you got...

Flex isn't that big of a deal for me so what I'd like to know is...did you notice an improvement in stability and/or climbing ability?

Your right about flex, it flexed really well before but, I think the overall ride and stability was greatly improved. It is a much smoother ride on and off road. The rear end moves much more freely without the track bar. Climbing is much improved, the ledges at TNT rock garden and Radical ravine were cake, I was really surpprised how easy it went up both of those.

Here is the before and after I promised.

Before: IMGP1238.jpg
After: IMGP2634.jpg

Last edited:
im in Iraq at the moment and have been looking at that same kit. all i need are the bedsides, upper coil bucket things and gas tank. have u had any issues with your stuff since you installed and wheeled it? did u have any issues with the install or was it pretty easy and straight forward? i havent been able to find much info on this stretch kit online.

Talk to Allen at Allen's Off Road, I do believe you can purchase parts "ala carte". Pretty easy...You read my install write up and saw the pictures right? Just kidding :) Easy no, but pretty straight forward. No instructions came with any of it. I would be more than glad, once you have all the pieces and parts, to provide you with the real important steps. There are some issues that aren't addressed in any of the online installs, example the rear sway bar. The rear sway bar will bolt up but, the angle of the sway bar links from the frame to the swaybar is so extreme they bind under the least amount of articulation and don't effectively dampen body roll on or off road. I solved that by fabing up some new frame mounts and welding them farther back on the frame so everything is perfectly lined up. No issues with the quality or durability of Prue Jeeps stuff.

If you have any other questions feel free to hit me up on email, feileod@yahoo.com. Stay safe and enjoy spending your hard earned deployment money.

well thats good to hear. i wont have an issue with the rear sway bar since i cut mine off and never put it back on.
Yeah I am a creature of habit and I have always run a rear swaybar soooo...it had to stay and work right. Well since you are minus a swaybar, the e brake cables hook back just fine and you will need a longer rear flex brake line but, other than that everything else is included with the kit.

The fuel lines and pump wiring worked just fine. You'll have fun getting the pump retaining ring off the original tank. We used a small pry bar and gently tapped it with a hammer as we worked our way around on each raised rib and after a few rounds of that it started to turn. The gasket that seals the pump assembly to the tank neck required some creative trimming to work with the new tank. Pure Jeep and Full traction said it should have worked without trimming because their tank is made to factory spec. I suspect they used a newer model TJ when desinging it and there may be some slight difference in the inner diameter of the tank neck. The other answer could be my gasket has just swollen up over the last twelve years. At any rate it works fine, no leaks and no check engine light.

That is a good question, I never really measured it. I had ordered Bilstien 5100s for a four inch lift (I run a two inch lift) and I was left with only two inches of up travel. So I ordered up some 3" lift shocks and they were just a tad too long as well. So I moved the shock mount above the cross member and that seems to be working, sitting at around 4 inches of up travel.