Tcase or tranny?!

So I took the TJ for some light offroading today. Mostly to test the 4wd for proper function. I drove awhile in 4 wheel high with no issues. Switched to 4 wheel low and did fine for a few minutes and then it was as if the tranny died. Wouldnt go forward. Wouldnt shift into 2wd. Wouldt shift into park without grinding loudly. Thought I was screwed. Made no sense as I was basically on flat ground. Eventually I got it to go into 2wd after siting in N for a bit. Worked fine from then on and made it home without any more problems.

What was it?! Transfer case perhaps. Doubting its the tranny but, it wouldnt engage in another gear during its lil fit.

with it having a 4" suspension lift it probably has a transfer case drop on the skid plate. This makes the linkage for the shifter to bind up. Getting an SYE and driveshaft and removing the skid plate drop will help with this.

It does have the t-case drop on it. Thanks Brooks, that makes sense. Never dawned on me. The SYE has already been identified as an "urgent need", just working through final plans for what direction I'm going with the axles.