Snowbird - November 5th 2011

Looks like a good trip. I really need to pay better attention to dates on these rides, I could of made this, heck I was off of work most of last week, would of beat being bored.

Looks like a good trip. I really need to pay better attention to dates on these rides, I could of made this, heck I was off of work most of last week, would of beat being bored.
I'm going to have more trips to Snowbird in 2011 - probably at least 8-12 or more during the year. These will range from unguided tours without any instruction (think club runs), to guided with no instruction (like this last trip), to fully guided and instruction-based trips. Southeast Overland Adventures has a Facebook page up and our website should be published in about two weeks that will have dates and trip descriptions with prices published.

We are currently working hard to get the entire trail system mapped and rated, and also put signage up on all trails. In the mean time feel free to contact me with any questions. Thanks!

I'm going to have more trips to Snowbird in 2011 - probably at least 8-12 or more during the year. These will range from unguided tours without any instruction (think club runs), to guided with no instruction (like this last trip), to fully guided and instruction-based trips. Southeast Overland Adventures has a Facebook page up and our website should be published in about two weeks that will have dates and trip descriptions with prices published.

We are currently working hard to get the entire trail system mapped and rated, and also put signage up on all trails. In the mean time feel free to contact me with any questions. Thanks!
8-12 more trips in 2011?

What exactly is snowbird? New place? I know yall mentioned crawfords, Is this up near tellico-ish? I spent the weekend in franklin, Nc which i think woulda been close to yall.

What exactly is snowbird? New place? I know yall mentioned crawfords, Is this up near tellico-ish? I spent the weekend in franklin, Nc which i think woulda been close to yall.
snowbird is a private club property that has limited membership. Its $1000 per year to be a member and each member can bring in 5 guests. You can spit on some of the old tellico trails from some of the snowbird trails.

Brooks (97TJGUZZY) hit it pretty much on the head. Snowbird has a few thousand acres with probably over 50 miles of trails. Most trails are easy but there is an area called 'The Bowl' that currently has 3 larger rock obstacles and more are planned. There are some short sections of intermediate trails we traveled and a longer section of intermediate trail (several miles) will be checked out once it reopens in mid-February. We are still working on opening up additional old logging roads. There are also two fishing ponds and good stream trout fishing. Membership is limited to 50 individuals.

For those that were interested in some history on the plane crash site check out the link http://www.snowbirdanglers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=76.

Southeast Overland Adventures is a member of Snowbird and arranged the trip. We will have additional trips coming up soon from group runs to fully guided trips with instruction.

I haven't compared the topo map at the link to where I was. I touched the plane. Maybe there are two?
did you get gps coords for the plane you went to? I would be interested to throw it up on the map.

edit: buzzards roost is towards the south of the property, and the plane crash is about a mile north of the locked gate we came to.

Last edited:
Go onto Google earth. There is a geotagged photo of the airplane crash. I think it will give you a pretty good idea where it is at.

I loaded my track to google earth and yeah, the plane crash looks further than 1/2 a mile from where we were on Friday.

yup, I just got the coords from that geotagged photo and its near buzzards roost. Also, the photo is not of the burned plane. There must be two crashes. The photos in the news article show a burned and charred plane, the plane that steve saw was not burned up. So there must be two plane crashes.

If you look at the map on the snowbirdanglers page it shows the plane crash between Dillard Top and Pantherflat Top mountains peaks. So it must be two separate crashes.