Snowbird, Nov 5th and 6th, 2011

I'm excited. I'm kinda looking for a place right up the road to go deer hunting. My freezer is barren and I haven't found any decent hunt clubs yet. If I was at the next pay grade then I'd just sign up for one of those places with a game keeper.

My wife posed a question.....if there is hunting and wheeling, how are the people wheeling safe from the idiot hunter that shoots at whatever may be moving way off in the woods?
I was told our children would not be going where a hunter may be in the same area.

My wife posed a question.....if there is hunting and wheeling, how are the people wheeling safe from the idiot hunter that shoots at whatever may be moving way off in the woods?
I was told our children would not be going where a hunter may be in the same area.
I talked to the on-site manager about hunting last weekend when I was at Snowbird, specifically how hunters and wheelers will mix. Basically the entire property (3,600 acres) is open to hunting. I expressed that I didn't want to drive up on someone who was hunting a road and I was told that shouldn't be a problem. Now there is no guarantee that you won't see a hunger - I don't expect to see one but there is no guarantee. I grew up hunting so to be on the safe side anytime I go for a walk in the woods when season is in I wear blaze orange to be on the safe side.

Another thing to consider is the membership at Snowbird is capped at 50 people. I think there are currently 41 members. I've spent 2 days up there over the past two weeks and have only seen 2 people who were not with our group.

I currently have you reserved for one spot, that is one spot = one person. If you are bringing children they count as a guest just like an adult does according to club rules. If you want to bring children I'll need to add them to the total count. Please let me know.

All other hunt clubs I've been apart of have a map at their clubhouse/base camp/general meeting area. Everyone sticks a pin on the map and signs in. Does Snowbird have that? If so, when we arrive, probably around 9am, anyone how is hunting will already be in the woods. We can just look at the map and simply not go where they are at.

Also most hunters know the well traveled routes and don't hang out there. Also we are more likely to come up on their truck/rig WELL before we are in an area to have a conflict.

All other hunt clubs I've been apart of have a map at their clubhouse/base camp/general meeting area. Everyone sticks a pin on the map and signs in. Does Snowbird have that? If so, when we arrive, probably around 9am, anyone how is hunting will already be in the woods. We can just look at the map and simply not go where they are at.

Also most hunters know the well traveled routes and don't hang out there. Also we are more likely to come up on their truck/rig WELL before we are in an area to have a conflict.
thats how the hunting club I was in was like.

As far as I know there is not a hunter sign-in location. Everyone entering the property must sign-in though, including guests who have to sign a waiver.

Remember this place is 3,600 acres. Everyone is spread out. Who knows if we will come across a hunter but I'm 'told' this shouldn't be a problem. If you are worried about this then by all means don't go and look at coming to the February event at Snowbird.

Had a good question come in. Camping is NOT included with your $25/person/day fee. The $25/person/day fee gets you in to Snowbird. Most people, and maybe everyone, is planning to camp or rent a cabin at Crawford's Campground and Cabin Rentals. Give Crawford's a call at 828-837-9077. They have a ton of primitive, electrical and full hook-up camping along with cabin and bunk house rentals. Primitive camping shouldn't be a problem but the cabins fill up.

If others are interested, I can be talked into one of those cabins...
The small cabins are nice. They are outfitted (pots, pans, sheets, etc), have a pull out sofa downstairs and two beds upstairs IIRC. I've stayed in them and am again in Feb.

The large cabin isn't a cabin, it's a house. Fully outfitted. 3 bedrooms IIRC, large living room, kitchen, etc.

The bunk cabins sleep 4 in 4 bunks. These are tight but you are under a roof. They don't have a kitchen or bathroom but bathrooms and showers (which are nice for a campground) are next door.

seems like alot of people, are you going to limit the number of vehicles?
# of vehicles is limited by the # of people. I just posed the question on another forum about limiting the # of people at 20. Last weekend we had 13 people/9 vehicles and that was just about good for 1 group. @ 20 people we probably could manage in 1 group but it would be slow and 2 groups would be better. Whatcha think about breaking 20 people into 2 groups?