School me on salvage titles

You can do full coverage after inspection. But it's not as simple as on a normal car. Some ins company's will just do full coverage with pics.

My old 04 wrangler was a salvage title. Full coverage up to the price we paid for it. I don't remember giving them any pictures of it or anything. That was with State Farm

My old 04 wrangler was a salvage title. Full coverage up to the price we paid for it. I don't remember giving them any pictures of it or anything. That was with State Farm
If you have a good agent, it should be that easy. I have heard of people getting jerked around though.

All in all, if it's a good deal I wouldn't shy away from salvage. Just don't by an electric or water salvage unless you see pics of water damage. Electric damage or fire damage is scary.

I've rebuilt several salvage jeeps over the years. I've never had an issue insuring them and I use state farm. having said that, I've never had to make a claim on one of salvage vehicle or have them totaled out after I rebuilt it so I don't know if that point they would actively look at the title and de value the vehicle on payout etc.

having said that, I really thought they would buck and this most recent 05 F250 that I just bought. It was totalled out by state farm and I bought it at copart. The title on it is state farm, and I thought for sure they would say something when I called state farm about it previously being salvage but they have not said anything yet. Again, might be a different story if/when I had to make a claim on the vehicle.

As far as value.. There really isn't any real good answer to that. Its all over the board. Generally, jeeps (as compared to other vehicles) can bring better money even with a salvage title on them. But, generally speaking they are not of course the same value as a clean title vehicle. But, as always.. its really just what someone is willing to pay for it.

Considering a vehicle is not an "investment" and depreciates daily, I'd buy a well inspected salvage vehicle again any day and fix it. The key is being able to really inspect it beforehand to know what you are getting into.

With Jeeps, the prices on them are just getting insane at the salvage auctions. By the time you fix them, you have as much wrapped up in them as a high mileage retail one with a clean title.

What you looking at buying?

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Thanks Matt. I was considering an SVT Focus that was salvage title. But I've moved past that. Still good to know. I'm seeing a ton of salvage title cars.