Raising the Barr Orchard

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Nora has wanted to plant some fruit trees for a while now. There's been some disagreements on where and to what scale we're going to do this. If we're going to do it I want to plant 10-12 fruit trees (a variety of apples, maybe a couple pears), a grape vine, maybe some raspberry or blueberry bushes. I have a half acre clearing that I think would be perfect for it.

Screenshot_20240507-113957_Google Earth.jpg
It's the lower end of this: 20230827_093459.jpg

It'll probably be next year before we plant anything of scale. There's still a few things I need to research. I've poked around on the Arbor Day Foundation website to see what's recommended for our area. I've heard you can give them an idea of what you want and they'll put together a tree package for you that has what you need for cross pollination.

I need to take a soil sample and get it over to Clemson extension.

And, I need to look into incorporating an LLC. We want to be able to pay the kids for their labor.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
One of the issues that contributed to location is water. My wife thinks it would be better closer to the house but I think it would be better to separate. At the house we'd have water, but I don't know that our current well would support it.

At my proposed location, I could pump from the creek either directly or to a water storage tank and irrigate from there. Neither is ideal.

Something else to think about.

I setups LLCs in my sleep... I would talk to the folks at clemson extension about what you are trying to do. I also have two friends that work in some flavor of what you are trying to accomplish. I dont think you actually need a LLC to write off farming expenses or pay your labor. You will need to show income.... Profit, not required.

This sounds awesome! Madi and I have talked about doing something like this when we retire. Also if you want honey bees for your orchard let me know. I'd love to start doing bees again and not have them die every year from yard Roundup.

The LLC is super easy to set up. You can do your articles online for free. Just need to decide how you want it set up. As a sole proprietorship, you can just add to your taxes as income/loss, etc.

One of the issues that contributed to location is water. My wife thinks it would be better closer to the house but I think it would be better to separate. At the house we'd have water, but I don't know that our current well would support it.

At my proposed location, I could pump from the creek either directly or to a water storage tank and irrigate from there. Neither is ideal.

Something else to think about.
Fruit trees do like water. A newly planted tree can drink up to 5 gallons a day in the summer. Once established, they need 1-2" a week either through rainfall or irrigation. A dedicated well would be the best bet, but I just had one drilled myself and I know its not cheap. Be prepared to pump the creek daily to fill the storage tank, as you will probably need both. Go ahead now and get your "Private" restricted use pesticide applicators license and become good friends with your local Clemson Extension biologist. Fruit trees can be tough between blights and pests and they can help identify what it is and how to treat it. Getting your hands on the restricted use pesticides and herbicides will go along way being able to treat like the professionals do. The online class will take you a day to complete through Clemson. I got mine this year, easy peasy.

The area also looks to get some shade. I would set up a timelapse camera for a day, get your shade pattern down and plant stuff accordingly weather it needs full sun, or can handle the shade in the morning/evening.

I would start small, go ahead and establish your blueberry bushes, and throw in some thornless blackberries as well. Apple trees are tricky with the summer heat. Plum, pear, fig, and peach do well in the midlands area.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Go ahead now and get your "Private" restricted use pesticide applicators license and become good friends with your local Clemson Extension biologist. Fruit trees can be tough between blights and pests and they can help identify what it is and how to treat it. Getting your hands on the restricted use pesticides and herbicides will go along way being able to treat like the professionals do. The online class will take you a day to complete through Clemson. I got mine this year, easy peasy.
I sprayed commercial herbicides for a few years during college. As I was leaving they were encouraging more of the staff to get certified and I heard it wasn't difficult. I could still have the connections to get herbicide.

I know we planted 6 pear trees back in 2020 back in a few of the sunny patches and they do not like where they are, or I didnt water them enough. So doing the research for what they need will help. 2 of them survived, and one of those has not grown an inch in 4 years, the other one (which I think gets more sun) is about 30" taller.

A good friend of mine owns/runs Justus Orchard in Hendersonville NC. Talking with him and hearing the struggles even they have with apples on a yearly basis I don't know how they do it. Between the record heat over the last few years and the late late frosts its been a battle for them.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
A good friend of mine owns/runs Justus Orchard in Hendersonville NC. Talking with him and hearing the struggles even they have with apples on a yearly basis I don't know how they do it. Between the record heat over the last few years and the late late frosts its been a battle for them.
That place is incredible with the kids play area and all. We've gone there the last couple years.