Proposed Club Vehicle Requirements

I have seen 2" wide strips of stainless with 1/4" holes down the sides. Watched a guy at gulches unbolt a bead, drill the tire, cut the tread flat, fill the hole with silicone, and bolt the plate inside & out. Insane but it works.

Back on topic.........
I think the requirements shouldn't be set in stone, but there do need to be some basic ones set in stone.

It's kinda one of those things that there's always someone that cheapskates out on.
I useta wheel with a guy that had no winch, straps, or recovery points. I was tired of spending all my time rescuing him. He had the habit of taking impossible obstacles, and not even coming close to making it. I don't mind helping, but it sucks when you end up recovering the same person every time, not to mention using my stuff cause he was just cheap!

Please keep in mind that I completely understand where all of you are coming from with these suggestions, BUT I believe you're going about it the wrong way.

The idea with a club is to encourage people to join so that they can join in and enjoy the same interests. If you let them join and then lay it on them that they have to spend $500 on "required gear" I can just about guarantee they'll go wheeling on their own...I would. The ideas are solid and YES it is definitely a great idea to have these tools on every trail ride, but let's say you have 30 rigs on a trail ride. Is it absolutely necessary to have 30 snatch blocks? NO. Is it a bad thing to have 30 snatch blocks...NO. Will it turn people away if you tell them they can't go unless they have one...YES. What should be done instead? If a trail ride is planned...a question should be fielded to find out who has what. You should have at least 2 of each item within the group. Why 2? Let's say Joe flips a few times down a hill and yard sales his snatch block...it'd be nice if he didn't have to break out the metal detector to find it before his rig gets righted. I know that's an overly complicated example, but the idea is to make sure you have a back up plan.

I think ya'll are on the right track with trying to make sure everyone is better prepared, but if we start requiring all of these items in EVERY vehicle we might as well change the club from MidCarolina Jeepers Inc. (still sounds weird) to SC Expedition Jeepers Inc. Some of you are into the expedition type wheeling and taking everything with you so you can camp where ever you end up, but most members of this club just want to go wheeling and have a good time enjoying their vehicles and time with friends and family.

I really do think these requirements should have been more openly discussed before being "implemented". There are quite a few areas that need to be more specific (spare tire) and a few items that need further discussion as a group.

I know I wasn't at the meeting, but that's where living over an hour away throws a wrench in things.

hummmm..... This debate good go on forever and then some. :eeek:

I personally, no, scratch that. REGARDLESS. I'm going to carry what I feel is necissary for my vehicle. And I've been wheeling long enough in conditions such to know. The above list covers just about everything close enough for it to fly.... if I cared. Having to many rules is a bad thing but when it secures the safety of a group it's a welcome sight. I have a problem with authority (known fact) yet I can get along with just about anyone if they share a common intrest of belief (maybe irrelevant). I would wheel with my own collected group if I was told I couldn't wheel with a club because of material items. But I would feel very comfortable wheeling with a group that prepares for a trip the way I do, if everyone did. Done.

Please keep in mind that I completely understand where all of you are coming from with these suggestions, BUT I believe you're going about it the wrong way.

The idea with a club is to encourage people to join so that they can join in and enjoy the same interests. If you let them join and then lay it on them that they have to spend $500 on "required gear" I can just about guarantee they'll go wheeling on their own...I would. The ideas are solid and YES it is definitely a great idea to have these tools on every trail ride, but let's say you have 30 rigs on a trail ride. Is it absolutely necessary to have 30 snatch blocks? NO. Is it a bad thing to have 30 snatch blocks...NO. Will it turn people away if you tell them they can't go unless they have one...YES. What should be done instead? If a trail ride is planned...a question should be fielded to find out who has what. You should have at least 2 of each item within the group. Why 2? Let's say Joe flips a few times down a hill and yard sales his snatch block...it'd be nice if he didn't have to break out the metal detector to find it before his rig gets righted. I know that's an overly complicated example, but the idea is to make sure you have a back up plan.

I think ya'll are on the right track with trying to make sure everyone is better prepared, but if we start requiring all of these items in EVERY vehicle we might as well change the club from MidCarolina Jeepers Inc. (still sounds weird) to SC Expedition Jeepers Inc. Some of you are into the expedition type wheeling and taking everything with you so you can camp where ever you end up, but most members of this club just want to go wheeling and have a good time enjoying their vehicles and time with friends and family.

I really do think these requirements should have been more openly discussed before being "implemented". There are quite a few areas that need to be more specific (spare tire) and a few items that need further discussion as a group.

I know I wasn't at the meeting, but that's where living over an hour away throws a wrench in things.
ryan, Thanks for your comments. These issues were addressed at the meeting I just havent updated this thread since the meeting.

Here is a breakdown of the items that are required and why, anything else that was mentioned is merely suggested.

1. Valid Driver's License (where needed this is required for vehicle drivers)

2. Fire Extinguisher (1A10BC Dry Chemical) - (No excuses this is cheap insurance for your vehicle, no discussion needed)

3. Basic First Aid Kit -- (bandaids and tylenol is the basics, Again, this is cheap insurance and no discussion needed. They can be as simple or as elaborate as you see fit.)

4. Tow strap -- (This is important for each person to have. Open to discussion, but I will not be swayed easily.)

5. Safety belts (one for each occupant). (This is non-negotiable. All individuals must be properly restrained by factory or better equipment (for their own safety) inside any moving vehicle on a club ride.)

6. Spare tire, jack, and lug wrench. (For large tires we will be understanding, but if you plan to drive out on your rim or sew up your tire it will suck for you AND everyone else. This is not an issue at gulches, 33, morris mountain and the like, but if you are at harlan or bumpus and need to drive 10 miles out to the trail head your SOL, Get to Sewing... For 35s and smaller everyone should have a spare tire of similar size +- 2")

7. Front and Rear tow points. (If we need to get you out, and then we bend your bumper/crossmember/axle pulling you out we now have more problems. These are required No discussion needed)

I think the main issue yall are having is with the tires. This is negotiable, nobody has spoken to me or another officer about it yet so take a chill pill till you do.

Every one has to get their required gear to ride
you buy it once.. you re done.
Gloves - $5
cb - $40
antenna $20
tow hook - $5 each
dring- $8
strap - $20
etc

Offroading is not a cheap "sport" . you have to be prepared. Just like " never go alone".. warn has a motto: Go Prepared.
Every club i've belong to requires the same. new members need to get the gear to ride just like veterans know what to bring as well.

just my .2 cents
mark

Every one has to get their required gear to ride
you buy it once.. you re done.
Gloves - $5
cb - $40
antenna $20
tow hook - $5 each
dring- $8
strap - $20
etc

Offroading is not a cheap "sport" . you have to be prepared. Just like " never go alone".. warn has a motto: Go Prepared.
Every club i've belong to requires the same. new members need to get the gear to ride just like veterans know what to bring as well.

just my .2 cents
mark
I didnt even get into the CB issue in my post. We will discuss this issue more at the meeting on March 21st. Where we will have a CB tuning session so we can all use them on the bumpus trip.

D-rings, gloves, snatch block, are highly suggested items, but I dont think I will indclude them in the required equipment. I think we will create a Highly suggested list to go with the required items.

What is the consequences for not having said items?
Who does the policing?

I am agreeing alot of ClemsonJeep. I think there will be a loss in members if things get real strict. It is hard to enforce these things and can and will at times hurt feelings and relations at times. Not that people weren't warned, it is their fault if they didnt know ahead of times.

I would push a "follow my example" and show members the proper way of doing extractions or the purpose of the equipment. To just say get it and do it quick or else doesnt work well. I know it wasn't said "Or Else" it was used as an example.

It is definately good to get everyone setup up properly for the trails, and the proper thing to do.

What is the consequences for not having said items?
Who does the policing?

I am agreeing alot of ClemsonJeep. I think there will be a loss in members if things get real strict. It is hard to enforce these things and can and will at times hurt feelings and relations at times. Not that people weren't warned, it is their fault if they didnt know ahead of times.

I would push a "follow my example" and show members the proper way of doing extractions or the purpose of the equipment. To just say get it and do it quick or else doesnt work well. I know it wasn't said "Or Else" it was used as an example.

It is definately good to get everyone setup up properly for the trails, and the proper thing to do.
what out of the list above that I posted do you feel would cause a "loss of members" or "hurt feelings"?

edit: and at the meeting everyone agreed on these items, SO....I do not think these items will bother anyone, if it would they would speak up.

Last edited:
i would say putting out the $$ right now to get items to get into compliance. that is if it is strictly enforced.

I wasnt at the meeting so i am just going by my thinking. if the club voted on it, that is fine. I jsut think if things get too strict then it may weed out potential members who are looking for an organization that is easy going and not too structured. But that is jsut my opinion.

An organization needs some structure to hold itself together. If there is no structure there is nothing to keep people interested or make them want to join. Sloppy unstructured organizations lose peoples interest easily and they have no reason to keep coming. These are very simple requirements that the club feels are within reason. I am not a dictator here, I'm doing what the club feels is best. Come out to the next meeting and we can clear up any confusion.

Thanks for clearing the list up Brooks. What Dan and myself are saying is that if a new member shows up to a meeting because another member told them about it and they sit down and hear that they are REQUIRED to have a laundry list of items...whether they're cheap or not...they will be turned off. If they are welcomed and slowly brought up to speed as they learn why they need certain items they will be much happier and MUCH better at using these items effectively.

Obviously I wasn't at the meeting, but I wish I had been. What I've heard about the meeting from others is that it was sort of a whirlwind of change. Everyone had gotten use to coming to the meeting, eating, hanging out, seeing members they don't get to see any other time, and just having a good time and occasionally hearing about upcoming events. They were sort of blown away at what was going on and from what I was hearing there wasn't much discussion...as you indicated as well. I would have to guess that was because they were in shock that a much more formal meeting was taking place with a lot of changes all at once.

I know you've been around the off road club scene for quite a while now, but not quite so long with the MCJ. I was around when the club consisted of Joe Berendzen, Joe Baldwin, Mike, Joe Meaders, etc. and it was just about the only club in SC that was actively making group trail rides (those were some good times by the way...just ask around about the "fake po-po"). Typically, the MCJ club has been very laid back so you'll have to excuse us if it comes as a shock that all of these changes have shown up so suddenly.

The updated list does look A LOT better though...thanks :cool: