Proposed Assault Weapons Ban???

Assault Weapons? What are those again? Oh that's right, it's a phrase coined by the anti-gun movement.

I myself own firearms, and use them for everything from hunting, and sport, to home / personal protection. I am also a parent, have taught my children proper gun safety, and continue to do so as they grow older. I was raised in a home with firearms, and was taught proper gun safety.
I do understand both sides of the gun/anti-gun movements. I as a parent, and gun owner feel sorrow for the victims of senseless violence. I say as a parent, and gun owner because the Gov., as well as the media seem to separate the two. I am one person, and both! I feel the same fear of my children falling victim to the evil in this world as any other parent. I also feel the same need to protect myself, my family, my home, and my right to do so as a gun owner.
I believe that further restriction of weapons is an absolute attack on the 2nd amendment. It's also an attack on my ability to protect my home/family/self.

US Constitution - Bill of Rights
Second Ammendment
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Notice the last 4 words. ( shall not be infringed )
With a little true research, I found that there are already some 300+ verifiable state/federal gun laws. The laws already in place are adequate, but not stringently enforced. The addition of more gun laws as a knee-jerk reaction to mass murder is not what this country, nor it's people need. I personally don't think we need any further gun laws, but should we truly need more gun laws, these laws should be carefully crafted to specifics. We do not need sweeping ban's, and outrageously unfounded information about how these laws will serve the people. We do not need knee-jerk laws that are on wasted paper, and written with fresh blood.
The importance of the Second Amendment has been made clear in so many ways over the course of history.
The people taking up arms to defend their god given rights is what brought this country into existence, and separates the US from most of the world.

George Washington
"It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it."
George Washington
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere, and everywhere restrains evil interference."
George Washington
"Firearms of citizens deserve a place of honor with all that is good."
George Washington
"A free people ought not only be armed but disciplined."
Thomas Paine
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."
Patrick Henry
"Are we at last brought to such an humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference between having our arms under our own possesion and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
Richard H Lee
"... whereas, to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..."
Thomas Jefferson
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
Thomas Jefferson
"I have a right to nothing which another has the right to take away."
Jeff Cooper
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
JFK
"There is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment."

Do not allow our Senate, Congress, or President to pass laws brought about by sad circumstance, or a political agenda. Laws should take time, thought, not serve an agenda, but serve the people.

I hear the President speak, and he claims to support the second amendment, but his actions show the opposite. His own words previous to becoming President speaking against the second amendment. As President he met with President Caldarone of Mexico, and made promises to do something about the flow of US weapons into Mexico. Yet he appointed Eric Holder as Attorney General. This man went on to spearhead an operation that directly funneled weapons from the US into Mexico. These weapons have cost an unknown number of lives in Mexico, as well as cost the lives of American citizens. This operation is in the realm of criminal activity, yet the President used his power to shield Eric Holder, and himself from any legal/criminal implications.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/20/h...ve-privilege-over-fast-and-furious-documents/

Please take the time to read this. Regardless of your stance on guns you need to read this. The President has been working both sides of the fence! A President should be protecting The Constitution, the people it serves, and the people he serves!

http://www.thepoliticalguide.com/Profiles/President/US/Barack_Obama/Views/The_Second_Amendment/

I am saddened by the mass murder in CT, but can not stand for this terrible event to be used as an arguing point for more gun control. The shooter in CT woke up that morning a law abiding citizen. He then went on to kill 28 people, committing some 48felonies. Many of these laws were gun laws. How can I sit here and rationalize more laws that would have done nothing to stop this man from committing these crimes, yet these laws would infringe on the rights of the people. The current laws are nothing more than words on paper for a person that intends on doing harm. I would rather see stronger laws for self protection, and public school security.
DC, and Chicago have some of the toughest gun laws in the nation, yet the murder/violent crime/home invasion rates are in the highest percentages nation wide. When you disarm the citizen, you empower the criminal. There is your proof of that simple idea.

The media doesn't report they distort! Want proof?
Weeks after the CT shootings there are countless headlines about the event. What about the stories that support the rights of firearms, and their role in saving peoples lives. You never see any mass media on these stories!

-------
At 8 a.m. on Oct. 1, Luke Woodham, 16, bookish and overweight, drove a white Chevy Corsica up to his high school. That was already a sign of trouble: the young man had poor vision and was driven to school every day by his mother. But three hours earlier that morning, Mary Ann Woodham, 50, had been stabbed to death with a butcher knife in the home she shared with her son.
Luke Woodham walked into Pearl High’s commons, an enclosure created by the school’s buildings. He then took a .30-.30 rifle from beneath his blue trench coat and opened fire, wounding seven schoolmates and killing two, Lydia Kaye Dew, 17, and Christina Menefee, 16, a girl he once dated.
Roy Balentine, the principal, dashed out of his office when he heard the first shots.
“I ran out to see if something possibly malfunctioned,” he said. “I was hoping that’s what it was, but I knew it sounded like gunshots.”
He saw Woodham, about 15 or 20 feet away, wearing a big, blue coat and holding a rifle. Balentine dangled both arms to show how Woodham held the rifle low out in front of him.
Fearing Woodham would come for him next, Balentine ran to his office to call the police. As he dialed, more shots rang out. More students fell.
Methodically Woodham began moving through the commons, shooting his victims as students and teachers hid or fled screaming. One of those hit was Lydia Dew, 17, killed with a bullet in the back.
“He was so cool and calm. I saw him shoot a kid, and he ejected the shell,” says assistant principal Joel Myrick. “He was walking along, thumbing fresh rounds into the side port of the rifle.”
Minutes later, Assistant Principal Joel Myrick chased Woodham down outside the school, held him at bay with a Colt .45-caliber automatic pistol he kept in his truck in the school parking lot. He forced Woodham to the ground and put his foot on the youth’s neck.
“I think he’s a coward,” Myrick said. “I had my weapon pointed at his face, and he didn’t want to die.”
-------
GRUNDY, VIRGINIA -- Tracy Bridges didn't have much time to think when he saw Peter Odighizuwa on the front lawn of the Appalachian School of Law moments after he allegedly went on a killing spree.
"I just reacted," said Bridges, a student and sheriff's deputy who tackled Odighizuwa with classmates Todd Ross and Ted Besen after the Wednesday shootings.
The three men pinned Odighizuwa to the ground, and Bridges handcuffed the man's arms behind his back.
---
The anti gun movement wants you to change the way you think!
We the people need to lay down our arms, for we need be reliant on the wisdom of our leaders to guide and protect us. We the people should feel shame for taking up arms, for making the decision to protect ourselves, for using the rights given to us by God and the constitution. We are not able to think for ourselves, to make judgment as to our own safety and well being. Shame on me!

Shame on you! Shame on the people for not using the rights given to them. Shame on the Gov. for trying to circumvent the constitution, for trying to subjugate the people, and for trying to empower the criminal. Shame on the people for not being vigilant in the protection of their rights! Shame on those who blindly, and willingly give up their rights!

There is a proposed legislation coming the the US Senate, being supported by D Feinstein. Many of you may think that this ban on assault weapons is going to be a positive thing. I caution you to first read this proposal. Think your safe because you only own an old ruger mini 14 ranch, or a small .380 for protection, possibly a .22 rifle that takes a magazine, or any long gun that has a pistol / thumb hole grip. Have any modern semi-auto hand gun? The proposition is a sweeping ban, and there are going to be very few safe from its reach. The bill promises to protect the rights of hunters, and sport shooters, but I don't remember reading anything about hunting/sporting in the second amendment. We are given the right to freely own firearms, and without reason. I don't have to be a hunter to own a rifle associated with hunting. There are no hunting/self defense rights, but there is the right to keep and bare arms that covers all of it. If this proposition were to make it to a law, then that long extensive list of firearms that's being vilified will instantly become grandfathered in. You think that's good right? Wrong! Just because it is grandfathered in doesn't mean you get to keep it. Under this proposal an owner of one of these assault weapons would be required to register the weapon with the BATF. The regulations of ownership of these weapons would be scrutinized just as current owners of fully automatic weapons. The background check, mental health check, and the fact that the approval rate of these applications is very low. Most of the licensed owners, are dealers, manufacturers, or up fitters. So that Glock you carry for protection, well it may take as long as 8mo+ to be approved, and registered to you. That's if you are approved. Should you not be approved, I would gather that the BATF would be paying you a visit to collect some things! So you get it registered, and approved, but you want to pass it along to your kid should anything happen to you. That's called a trust. Gotta get approval for that, and when your kid comes of legal ownership age, they have to pass the same registration process. I don't see any positive changes taking place . I see the law abiding public being at the mercy of the common criminal.

The only thing that can stop a mad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun. You match fire power with fire power. You don't take a knife to a gun fight. So I'm inclined to believe that should I encounter a situation where I am in need of my right to defend myself that your proposal would detrimentally effect my ability to do so. Who are you to determine where, when, how, and by what means I can protect myself, my family, my home?

The media, and anti gun movement want you to focus on the evils of the firearm. This inanimate object with no will of its own. It's an evil thing, and does harm. The gun is the evil, not the person holding it! Do the people spewing this crap really believe this? If they are correct, then we need outlaw alcohol. It's evil, and causes cars to be driven recklessly, thus causing fatal accidents. Could I be wrong? Could it be the car that is evil? Lets outlaw vehicles! They cause drunks to drive, and people to speed!

The outline of the proposal, as well as the entire wording can be found here. Give it a read, you need to! You need to understand what is at stake.

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

Take history's warning!!!!!
Say no to more gun control.
So what is the warning?
In history the gun control nearly always leads to an outright gun ban, then history repeats itself!

-------------------
In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million 'educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million +\-

------------------------------

I'm not some ranting gun nut with an arsenal. I'm not a violent person, nor do I wish to be violent. I'm a hard working American who enjoys the freedoms we have, honors those whom have sacrificed to retain those freedoms, and wants to continue to exercise those freedoms.

I challenge any member of our elected Gov. that wishes to take my rights. I will willingly give up my right to bare arms should you give up yours first!
Mr. President, Members of Congress, Members of Senate, Government Officials. I challenge you to give up your right to arms, and the rights of those who protect you. You enjoy a blanket of protection by armed guards. Take the weapons out of the hands of your own guards, give up your own firearms first. When you no longer have the right, nor the sense of security afforded to you by means of firearms or your security team being armed, then the people will see your true devotion. I challenge you all to lead by example!!!

Whether or not we like it, America is about to face this. From what I hear, its going to be more than just an assault weapons ban. Its a "ban on every boom boom stick" thing.

For better or worse, we need the NRA more now than ever. We like in a geographic region such that our representatives wouldn't DARE vote for a gun ban. So our letters to our congressmen and senators would just reinforce them. We need the NRA to go into congress and squeeze "no" vote they can out of those politicians. Use every dirty trick (the ones we complain about lobbyists using) to kill this bill. Delay the bill as much as possible so the memories of recent events fade and the reality of other issues grows.

The people elected to Washington are clueless about life. They are clueless about how to actually make a living, raise a family, do anything. They live in their own little world. The NRA is capable of going into that little world and injecting the fear of God into these politicians and upholding the 2nd amendment.

If all the money spent on AR-15s and gold plated P-Mags in the past month was sent to the NRA instead, this wouldn't even be in the news. They would've bribed, persuaded, paid off whomever to keep these anti-gun bills down. Those are all dirty ways of working, but they support our cause so...that is how it is.

Also firearms sales and enthusiasm has been on the rise in the past 10 years. Considering it was going down in the 90s, this bolstered the NRA, allowing them to deadlock congress to allow the last assault weapons ban to expire. Hopefully a stronger backing can counter this renewed effort. These bills HAVE to be killed in the house because if they pass, the president would sign it in a heartbeat.

It is easy for all of us normal folk to sit around and say, "Well this is bullcrap" but up there on the hill, gun advocates need someone who knows how to play the game. The NRA is our translator for the crazy language spoken in Washington.

Remember: In the house, they need a majority vote. Currently the house is primarily conservative with a few southern democrats. A majority "no" is possible. Even after that and a president signing it, it has to get a 2/3 approval by the senate. Since the senate is split half and half, there is a good chance the 2/3 won't be met.

Have faith in our convoluted system and the corrupt lobbyist who shape it. I think it might actually work for us this once.