Project: Unknown

Think i found a 60' front housing for the low low and possibly the rest of it, i'll see tomorrow but i will probably scoop it. School me on the front 60 axle you used matt? they're 9.5 ring gear, but use the same hubs and all as the mini-trucks? Does that mean they accept the same hi-steer as the mintruck as well? 30-spline longs are $675 which isnt bad, plus 40 degree steering.

This would set me back as far as finishing my jeep, but it would be stronger and more uncommon then most.

Getting a fj60 housing this weekend and gonna play with it, I think I'm going to try and flip it to drivers drop and see how that goes and source a stock front axle to steal rest of parts from. With that I'll have option of driver or passenger drop and give me something to do in class Tuesday, the housing is a steal so nothing lost. It will be the stoutest option and I would be set for front. Either run 4.88 or 5.29s depending on what's going in the rear, either 8.8, some type of toy or something else.

Think i found a 60' front housing for the low low and possibly the rest of it, i'll see tomorrow but i will probably scoop it. School me on the front 60 axle you used matt? they're 9.5 ring gear, but use the same hubs and all as the mini-trucks? Does that mean they accept the same hi-steer as the mintruck as well? 30-spline longs are $675 which isnt bad, plus 40 degree steering.

This would set me back as far as finishing my jeep, but it would be stronger and more uncommon then most.
9.5 Ring gear. 3" wider so you will have to make your own tie rod/drag link/track bar which I am sure you are doing that anyway. The long side inner shaft is longer so you have to order a kit for a 60/62 when you order it (same price). I would run longs if your gonna go Toyota. Gotta do the hub gears too. I can get you the knuckle and hub studs a good bit cheaper than FROR which was the only people who sold them for the longest time. I can also order just the high steer arms from Trail-Gear. However, you may can make it work with the Toyota arms. I know thats what nick did for Jared with his full hydro or atleast I think thats what he did.

I finally got home to a computer last night. From what i can gather, I think the fj60 axle will be what i will ultimately want, without redoing everything a little ways down the road like i see the waggy 44 coming too, I dont want to redo everything after a couple months of wheeling/driving it to just have it down again. I'd like to run hi-steer with the arm not on diff side be able to have a behind the axle arm as well to run a hydro assist.

A few things i found related to it all. http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1004043
And a 60 axle in a TJ, this guys done several apparently. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7601190&postcount=41

And a general thread with toyota axles in Jeeps i've found some good info from http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622698

After a little thought and not being able to find a rear axle i'd like to run in the rear with the land cruiser front, i'm sticking to what i have and will do something in the front down the road, i like the rear 8.8 and it should be enough. So i kept on working.

Installed the .5" bodylift in about 30 minutes start to finish, i spent more time sorting through the hardware then it took actually putting it all on. Its crazy when your dealing with so little room how much a .5" actually adds. It's pretty much exactly what i was wanting/needing, i couldn't imagine having another .75". I grinded pretty much everything i had left to do on the rear and welded up the spots where i had a boo boo. I mocked up the coil relocator in the rear and tacked it in to when i thought i had a nice position and placement for the axle and coil, pulled out the tape....94" so i obviously cut the tacks and moved it back. After some playing around i found a better location for the coilspring with the wheelbase set at about 99.5" with how it is now, it may change when all said and done. I think i jumped the gun when tacking the coilspring relocator brackets together awhile back as they are fitting the frame like crap so i need to fix that and burn them to the frame, possibly french them in a little if need be. what i'm using http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13062369&postcount=1

I got creative as i work alone and it was hard throwing that axle around by myself constantly, so i found some tie down straps within arms reach and strapped them to the frame so i could slide the axle easy and it still be supported
31be5226.jpg

I'm pretty much ready now to get everything on and the rear end on the ground. Front brackets got cut off just need to clean the frame. Decided where i wanted the lowers to mount today, haven't looked at the upper. Also need to build the trusses as i have been lazy on that. Spent a lot of time today cleaning up my work area and getting rid of some more trash and stuff thats cluddered up. Plan to get back on it tuesdayish.

Figured out the link separation question and hoping that what i have now should be sufficient. Question though, What should i shoot my pinion angle for? Pretty much just gonna make it look good but i figured if i'm getting technical, i will try and shoot for something.

Last edited:
the pinion angle will depend on your wheelbase stretch and lift hight, and how high you tuck the skid up. We cant really give you a number with all of those variables that are not stock.

Easy enough guess I'll just point and shoot. Don't have an sye yet so I'll guesstimate and burn it in. I knew there was some variables that had to determine it. I over think things 99.8% of the time, thanks ADD.

Been pussyfooting around with it but have kinda gotten motivated to get it back on the ground and rolling again lately so hopefully I can get the ball rolling. Trying to find some work while I'm home over break welding in this shop to get some cash, the list of things I need is rather big but it is what it is and I think seeing it on ground will be an accomplishment in itself.

Easy enough guess I'll just point and shoot. Don't have an sye yet so I'll guesstimate and burn it in. I knew there was some variables that had to determine it. I over think things 99.8% of the time, thanks ADD.

Been pussyfooting around with it but have kinda gotten motivated to get it back on the ground and rolling again lately so hopefully I can get the ball rolling. Trying to find some work while I'm home over break welding in this shop to get some cash, the list of things I need is rather big but it is what it is and I think seeing it on ground will be an accomplishment in itself.
try to get the pinion angle close, because as you rotate the axle forward or back, you are also rotating the coil buckets...

Aight I'll look at Marcus and throw an angle finder on it for reference. My arms should be pretty close in length which shouldn't change pinion angle to much from what I've seen.

no_motivation.jpg

I've gotten nothing successful accomplished since being home..... I have all the links cut just need to finish welding them up. Front lower frame mounts are tacked on waiting until i build a truss for front to finish it then i will cycle and burn on in. Cut out the parts for the rear frame sections just need to notch the frame and cut the brace thing in the inner fender and see how it matches up then comes burning in the rear mounts.

So not much to update. Rain and being so wet has made it difficult to get things done.

Decided to be like all the cool guys after i ran across this deal
87016a03.jpg
Difference in small bearing and large bearing spindle, may try and take the large bearing spindles into class and turn them down for spares
959986ff.jpg
Small bearing spindles with hubs and rotors i got for a pretty dang good deal. a spacer to convert rear is cheaper then shafts.

Also tacked up one side of my frame section, need to do the other side and burn it in i suppose. I fawkd up one thing with it so i'm going to have to fix it.
7a88343b.jpg

I also TIG'd my uppers together the other day in class. I'll snap a pic when i finish them. TIG'n 1.75 tube can be rather difficult.

I also put my tube fenders up for sale just to see if there would be someone who wanted them. I like them but i would like to either run a Durham to replace my hood or build some new tubes to get a little more clearance, my tires always rubbed the back of them. Really liked what Jim did with these and i'd probably try and do something like it
100_9095.jpg
291247_2205235291020_1251522013_31959969_94545167_o.jpg

Last edited:
About anything Jim builds is sick
Ya I like his work. I like the simplicity of those fenders and how they would give a little more room in all directions. I don't have inner fenders either which I've not been the biggest fan of so it will be addressed regardless of what I do as well as moving the battery to behind driver seat. I've gotten some ideas for a new front bumper idea too id like to eventually do but I will try and get this bitch rolling first. Need some f150 or cj wheels if anyone has any laying around.

The frame part I posted a pic of is messed up, I need to fix because I blew through it. Probably going to try and run a backing strip or something for good penetration without blowing through.

One major thing holding me back from making more progress is trussing my axles. I haven't thought of a way to do it cleanly or easily. Going to try and find some 3/8 or 1/2 plate to bend up for the rear I think and burn it in then either figure something out for front or run the upper on pass side.

JR, your builds looking good. Hate that during the week I'm so busy and 1hr away from being able to work on anything then the weekends usually crappy weather, I know you can understand that too.