OSCAR 9 Trip Report

OSCAR 9 is in the books. RenegadeCJ had a bit of a tough trip if were being honest. The driver is rusty on east coast wheeling in a full size rig. Had a pretty good trail ride Friday and got to the top of Mason Jar before lunch. That has to be some sort of record. Caught the windshield frame on a tree in Mason Jar, so now we have some more work to do. The drip rails will look better shaved anyway right?? We went from Mason Jar to Middle Rock Garden. We ran Grapevine then off to Lower Damnation (what a snoozer). Went to Your Turn and sat for a while behind a huge group and lost steering coming out of the right hand bypass. I gave it a somewhat effort to fix the pump in the campground but the puller they had was not working great, I was hungry, and the steaks were about to come off the grill. By the time I ate I had no motivation to figure it out in the dark and the weather forecast didn't really make me want to push through and get it fixed. On to the next ride..... will post a few pictures I took later.

Every year when I leave the OffroadSC Annual Ride #OSCAR and head back toward South Carolina I am totally amazed by the support of our members,local vendors, and sponsors that make this event an absolute blast! It’s crazy how much fun we all have up there tearing up jeeps and trucks that we spend all year working on. It takes a village to create something as awesome as OSCAR and we couldn’t do it without their help! Clemson 4 Wheel Center Inc came out as our title sponsor for #OSCAR9, they teamed up with WARN for raffle prizes again this year and hit the trails with us all weekend! Carolina Driveline sponsored the #lionsdenchallenge and gave over $500 in driveline gift certificates for the raffle. Gr8tops had our back for the 9th year in a row and sent a #JeepJacket which would have come in handy for the rainy weather we had Saturday morning. Lugnut4x4 joined us on the trails for the 8th year in a row and had a crisp $100 bill up for grabs for the winner of this years #WrongWayChallenge up Lower Rock Garden, they also had a $300 gift certificate for one of their disc brake kits in the raffle. Tentrax joined us as a sponsor and on the trails for the second year in a row and gave a Tailgater Tire Table, Inc. to one lucky winner. KrawlOff-Road.com didn’t hesitate to send us $100 in gift certificates for this years raffle and four lucky winners went home with those. We also want to thank Big Horn Graphics, Tigertown Graphics, and Hog Heaven Pit BBQ Mobile for supplying the stickers, banners, shirts, and BBQ for the event! Until next year, this is Brooks and the team from OffroadSC.com saying Thank You All, and see you at #OSCARX !

I will be honest that I was not really looking forward to the ride this year. I had neglected to do the work to the Jeep it needed till the last minute. Had been crunching on getting my shop finished and getting the pontoon restored.... After the first minute into the trail my outlook changed and I am recharged. Already looking at planning more wheeling trips this year. In fact when we pulled out of the camp ground Shannon says "so, when are we going back out west". Won't be this year I don't think but definitely will be doing a fall trip and maybe even a summer trip this year.

I will be honest that I was not really looking forward to the ride this year. I had neglected to do the work to the Jeep it needed till the last minute. Had been crunching on getting my shop finished and getting the pontoon restored.... After the first minute into the trail my outlook changed and I am recharged. Already looking at planning more wheeling trips this year. In fact when we pulled out of the camp ground Shannon says "so, when are we going back out west". Won't be this year I don't think but definitely will be doing a fall trip and maybe even a summer trip this year.
I waited till the last minute on mine also, and felt similar, I think with more planning and hype this year #OSCARX will have a better lead in.

I think Moab spoiled it for most of us this year. Still had a good time. Just wasn't as exciting this year.
I really enjoyed a few of the trails this year, it seemed like they were all a little different from the past. While White Tail was much easier this year, I really had a good time going up it Friday Night. I also tried the left side of the waterfall for the first time and made it, and yourturn and killin time were fun as always.

Caught the sunset on the way up Thursday night. 10D3F3F4-DA9B-4239-ACD3-97565E9A7DC8.jpeg

We took the entire trail 15 this year, we usually dodge off when we get to where it meets the main road
65722344-B4BD-40E7-844C-41F7D508759D.jpeg

Headed up pinball and railbed
9F6E7ECC-5505-43D1-9D09-847C7684919F.jpeg

railbed
5498F36F-2B42-47F7-BB65-B661AC460D36.jpeg

The normal exit to Railbed was nasty this year!
E632F11C-0427-4FA4-B44A-B80345D173E6.jpeg

Headed to Fish Fossil after that and @Fenrir did some custom mods to his rear wheel
C891AA2A-68FA-4103-A1F9-AC5898120E8A.jpeg

Art broke a front shaft on Yourturn and it threw the ujoint about 3 feet in front of the jeep into the water.
F76366DE-981E-44E1-AE6F-074AE78635DC.jpeg

Just cruising
C40AF5A8-642C-4660-B556-EB0354F0C462.jpeg

Nearing the top of Whitetail Crawl
A1B950C6-476F-4B12-B5BE-CC9B4F46933A.jpeg

Climbing up the exit of fish fossil
8A2FFBD1-3B35-484C-86B1-EE4430DAAA3D.jpeg

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'm with you on this. This year has probably been the most stressful of my life. I haven't made any plans because I can never count on being able to follow through with them. Either Wednesday night or Thursday, Burgundy said you need to go, and we'll all go if that's what it takes. I didn't have the energy to leave after work and make the drive by myself.

So Thursday after work I hooked the trailer up and we changed out tops after the kids went to bed. I loaded the jeep at lunch on Friday and sat back down at my computer for a last check and the shit had kinda hit the fan again. It was one of those things that I'm responsible for but can't control, so I basically said handle it and packed up my laptop (which I wasn't going to bring). Didn't have service all weekend and didn't even think about it. It was a good break.

We didn't get to ride much, and the weather was crap, but we got to see people we hadn't seen in a long time, had a good lunch, ice cream, and funnel cake fries so it was a win.

Good for her! That’s the kind of relationship you’re supposed to have. I have been having a rough go at it work wise myself and have introduced way too much other stuff to the schedule lately on top of that. I did something this weekend I haven’t done in seven years. I did not take one single work call from about 4PM Thursday to Sunday night. I did answer a couple txt and emails...but was very selective.

Yeah we had a blast as well. Ran Mason Jar, Railbed, Fish Fossil, 15, Killin Time, Grape Vine, Lower Damn, Your Turn, Crawford’s Cry, Lower Rock Garden, Bald Knob, Hawkeye Overlook, part of Cliffhanger and ended with a Boom on Whitetail, literally lol.
Thank you to everyone involved in making another great Oscar. I’m so freaking tired.

CD354A7B-9E12-4862-A482-3C099E3D0382.jpeg A188BABA-9264-47B4-BC6B-390C99E19038.jpeg 64C07CC8-2130-448C-9508-4E086563FDE2.jpeg F4D81F67-558A-4A52-B8EC-E8F18D9359B6.jpeg B0DD47D3-23E1-4531-A981-94BD932AE414.png 0CF14325-48FD-4EB2-9112-B16C432B88E7.jpeg

Good for her! That’s the kind of relationship you’re supposed to have. I have been having a rough go at it work wise myself and have introduced way too much other stuff to the schedule lately on top of that. I did something this weekend I haven’t done in seven years. I did not take one single work call from about 4PM Thursday to Sunday night. I did answer a couple txt and emails...but was very selective.
Dude I still have not taken a work call lol. Tomorrow’s going to be real

I'm with you on this. This year has probably been the most stressful of my life. I haven't made any plans because I can never count on being able to follow through with them. Either Wednesday night or Thursday, Burgundy said you need to go, and we'll all go if that's what it takes. I didn't have the energy to leave after work and make the drive by myself.

So Thursday after work I hooked the trailer up and we changed out tops after the kids went to bed. I loaded the jeep at lunch on Friday and sat back down at my computer for a last check and the shit had kinda hit the fan again. It was one of those things that I'm responsible for but can't control, so I basically said handle it and packed up my laptop (which I wasn't going to bring). Didn't have service all weekend and didn't even think about it. It was a good break.

We didn't get to ride much, and the weather was crap, but we got to see people we hadn't seen in a long time, had a good lunch, ice cream, and funnel cake fries so it was a win.
I saw you pass me at the traffic circle. I was at the gas station in the motorhome. i really wanted to fall in behind you and go wheelin.