OSCAR 9 Food Reviews and Poll

How was the OSCAR9 BBQ

• Total voters
So after Dinner Saturday night Chuck mentioned that people were trying to give him BBQ plates and that he thought it was because people didnt like it. I'm more thinking its because people had tons of extra meal tickets.

Its not the best BBQ I've ever had, but for getting it delivered in a campground in Putney, KY and having it be decently fast and affordable I thought it was a good deal. What say you guys?

1619536478643.png

Harvards brutally honest food review is that I am willing to help in any way possible that will give us different food next year. I'm a bit of a BBQ snob though. I thought the sandwich was much improved from 2019 but only ate it and the corn.

It would never slow me down from being at OSCAR...

My FIL has a large pull behind smoker I have access to. I'm by no means committing to this but it's not out of the question if we needed it. With the right planning I think OSCAR 10 can be of epic proportion. The bad part with food is figuring out how much to have and how to have it ready for the dinner with still being able to get some sort of wheeling in.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'm between the Meh and Bad... I saw a lot of plates trashed with lots of food left and some barely touched sandwiches.

BBQ was OK, corn and beans were meh, and I don't eat slaw or potato salad. I know identical plates is the fast way, but a choice of 2 sides or ask what you want and don't want would cut down on a lot of waste. It definitely doesn't compare to some Shealy's green beans and mac and cheese.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Harvards brutally honest food review is that I am willing to help in any way possible that will give us different food next year. I'm a bit of a BBQ snob though. I thought the sandwich was much improved from 2019 but only ate it and the corn.

It would never slow me down from being at OSCAR...

My FIL has a large pull behind smoker I have access to. I'm by no means committing to this but it's not out of the question if we needed it. With the right planning I think OSCAR 10 can be of epic proportion. The bad part with food is figuring out how much to have and how to have it ready for the dinner with still being able to get some sort of wheeling in.
The early years we used Brooks' drum smoker. It was good but a hassle. Bringing Shealy's worked too, but took all afternoon to prep.

My vote would be for a different food truck or local caterer.

Or.... @Twilliamson how far will Shealy's catering travel? :ROFLMAO:

So you guys all see where the issue arises, I really want to be able to have people wheeling saturday, and having to prep for dinner and also buy and transport all of the food is an extreme hassle. I'll be honest, I thought the food was on par with more than half of the bbq restaurants I have been to in my life, but it could also be that by saturday at 6:30 after running around all over the mountain, I am usually starving anyway.
I know some people dont like some things, and I'm not a picky eater, but I honestly thought it was decent food. Now I did try the chicken that was left that night and I wouldn't have them do it like that again.

I looked when I found this food truck for another option for food that would cater at Harlan, and i came up short other than them. They also cater other 4wd and SXS events at the Putney campground. If you guys find anything let me know.