Old vertical mill - Bridgeport, etc

Looking for someone that has or knows someone that's got one of these things in their way. No real budget for one, just looking for that "deal"

This one is in VA but looks to be pretty nice. I'd love something about this size. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449583916.342830.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449583924.324350.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449583932.607421.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449583944.606838.jpg

Don't know if you'd want something more local but I'll keep my eyes open. We had an Index in Atlanta that was nice. I'd want to have one that had a digital readout on it and auto feed I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one is in VA but looks to be pretty nice. I'd love something about this size. View attachment 7394
View attachment 7395
View attachment 7396
View attachment 7397

Don't know if you'd want something more local but I'll keep my eyes open. We had an Index in Atlanta that was nice. I'd want to have one that had a digital readout on it and auto feed I think.

Those are definitely nice things to have Steve. I will hopefully be getting a mill and lathe next year when the new section of the shop is complete. I highly doubt I will go for those options though as they really get pricey. I can do most everything I would ever want without it, but it does make it nice if you are doing something that has to be a very close tolerance. Most of what I would ever do wouldn't have to be that precise.

I would love a digital readout on my machines. I keep eyeballing the ebay ones. When I use my buddies mill or lathe with DRO I get spoiled. I love not having to count revolutions. It is also nice to program a bolt pattern and have indicators on the screen tell me which way to move the bed.

I've never used a lathe with digital read out but rely on one with a mill. I've gotten better about doing things old fashion way.

Friend of mine bought an Enco used off someone and said he was happy with it. Has digital read outs and all. Chinese brand but for shop use id be happy with one. I've got a Jet mini lathe at work that does pretty well, would want a bigger machine though just for the bed.

I've never used a machine with digital anything. Todd's mill set-up(not working) for one and has autofeed. I still do everything by hand though, simply because that's all I've ever ran. We didn't have much to work with at the big Clinton High.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I would love a digital readout on my machines. I keep eyeballing the ebay ones. When I use my buddies mill or lathe with DRO I get spoiled. I love not having to count revolutions. It is also nice to program a bolt pattern and have indicators on the screen tell me which way to move the bed.
I would love to have some milling equipment and the time to work with them. There is a youtube channel by Keith Fenner that shows a lot of this kind of work in a lot of detail and his videos are pretty good. Clippa, on one of his videos he actually had an issue all of the sudden where the digital readout was off/incorrect a couple thousand. He was attentive enough to notice something wasn't right, and rebooting the readout fixed the issue, but I would be afraid something like that would happen and I would just be messing up parts before I figured out what was up. I wouldn't imagine it would be very easy for the dials to be wrong.

Sorry to make this into a discussion Tripp. Someone can move the chit chat into another thread if it would be better.

Check out garagejournal and practicalmachinist for a lot of info on machines as well as a lot of used equipment. I'm on a group on Facebook called metal shapers that has a lot of equipment posted all the time.

Im looking for that "deal" Someone has one in the way they need moved and a couple hundred bucks.

I have also been recently been bitten real bad by the CNC Bug, I believe i'm going to start on machine #2 (with some usable work area) after the holidays, and having a manual mill at home sure makes that project a bit easier.

So, I take it you aren't talking about a large Mill at that price point...
Oddly enough I paid $150 for my bridgeport , $200 for my 12"x36' Clausing Lathe, and $200 for my 16"x40" southbend. My enco 3-in-1 machine with VFD was free. You can find them but it can take years. I will keep my eyes open Tripp. Those deals keep getting harder and harder to come by. Occasionally at auction you can get them. Just have to hope that no one else bids on it.