New Smartphones

So my 2 year contract is up on my DroidX and its showing its age, freezing every now and then and slower than it used to be.

I'm torn between switching to Iphone, or staying with an android phone.

What do yall have and would you buy it again?

I was originally holding out till the 5S came out so I could get the 5 for cheaper but its not looking like that will be till october at the earliest.

So iphone 5 or what? what android phone is the best right now?

Do a wipe on it. Go to setting, Privacy, and factory reset. My Samsung Stratosphere (personal phone) was doing all kinds of weird nonsense. The last straw is when the SOB started restarting itself randomly. Wiped it. Like a new phone. Coupled with a new battery I got last week and I don't foresee me getting a new phone anytime soon. My plan is to wipe my phone every 6 months now, just wipe it and it'll be practically brand new.

That said, Apple phones are pretty awesome. I've got a 4S as my work phone. It does calling, texting, email, navigation, web browsing, and photos extremely well. Great layout and if I don't make 30 calls a day and play games on it, it'll last me multiple days on one charge (if I shut it off at night). Super awesome during travel since I don't have to charge it every 5 seconds. Just FYI, in the field (and literally, I mean THE FIELD, think middle of nowhere Texas or North Dakota...or LA or Chicago for that matter) all business men have apple products. Everything just works with it and its all super easy to use. Writing an email on an apple phone is a breeze. Heck opening and proof reading PDF documents is easy. I can sit in an airport and as long as I don't have to generate a document, I can basically continue business as usual with that phone.

The new iPhone 5 is even better. 4G really makes a phone great and when on wifi hotspot, its just like normal people internet. Completely awesome. Only downside is the stupid connector. The old apple connector is EVERYWHERE and it was super nice dropping my 4S into the cradle on the treadmill and it charge or in the cradle at the hotel. Also I've got a number of the old style connectors so changing sucks.

My sister has the new iPhone 5. She let me play with it. Its exactly like the 4S except a little bit bigger and faster. My iphone 4 is actually pretty slow when it isn't connected to wifi.

Android phones will be pretty much the same as what you've got right now. Other upside to android is if you go with a small android tablet, most likely the connectors will be the same. This brings win, as you can imagine.

Another benefit of Android over apple is easy transfer of files between my PC and the device. I just bluetooth the information over. Need to put a PDF/JPG map on my phone to have just in case? Boom. Two clicks and its done. No emailing, or putting in the cloud or any of that nonsense. Data transfer on my apple phone requires me to put stuff in the cloud, then bring it back down on my PC. I don't really like it. I feel like my apple phone is an island and its a pain to try to get something on or off of it.

Another thing I don't like about apple products is that it doesn't keep a decent call log of who you've called. Android does which is nice. Oh and I input/modify all of my contacts in my email, NOT my apple phone. Contacts go from an email contact list to apple phones great, doesn't work so well going the other way. Apple phones typically want to sync everything too and you REALLY have to work hard to keep it from doing that. My boss has like, 2000 facebook friends. Guess what is clogging up his contact list now...

Both newer android and apple phones have great cameras on them. I mean, super nice. If you've got decent light, you are golden. Definitely get something that has 4G as that brings the awesome.

Android phones seem to wear out faster. My g/f has had the same Apple iphone 4 about three years ago. Still going strong. Then again all she does is play games on it. That said, does seem like every once in a while they crap out. We've had a few work ones here at the office go to crap but verizon takes care of it which is nice. BTW our entire office uses apple phones. Pretty much everytime I call someone, they also have an apple phone.

I complain about connectors, but really, go look online. New wires are like, $2 a piece.

Lastly, I recommend you monitor your data. We were forced off of our unlimited plan but I got to monitoring my usage and really I'm not using more than 2 gigs a month on my personal phone. Work phone is typically the same but in February I did get close to 4 gigs...once. Just a way to save a bit more money. There are multiple apps to monitor and let you know if you are using too much. BTW I pretty much run Pandora 1-2 hours a day driving back and forth to work.

I like my dads new samsung galaxy s4 alot. It's real nice for navigating around and is super quick. I mean super quick. My iphone acts up a good bit, and I close all my apps every night and restart atleast once a week and it still acts up. iMessage is pretty sweet, and the size of the 4s is nice. A 5 is a little bit too big, and the s4 is a pocket computer.

I'd probably get the s4 over the 4s if android would work with apple and connect iMessage.

Ill be getting an S4 when i have to. Right now I still have the unlimited data plans from back in the day and don't really want to give it up! I hate all the new phones for their size though. If I wanted a tablet I'd buy one. I just want a phone...

Sent from my Obama phone....

I have been reading reviews about the Samsung S4 and it does seem like there are a lot of good things.

It $199 if I sign a new 2 year contract.

If I was buying a phone for personal use only, probably new new Samsung Galaxy S4.

However if I follow through with combining my work and personal phone into one, probably the iPhone 5.

I know, complicated answer. Either way I'd stick with Verizon. ATT is better for world travel but I'm not doing that anymore.

I have been reading reviews about the Samsung S4 and it does seem like there are a lot of good things.

It $199 if I sign a new 2 year contract.
IIRC, If you buy in store its $250 up front with a mail in rebate .. but order online and you get the instant rebate and 1 day shipping...

Sent from my Obama phone....

I thought when you went to the 5 and got 4G you automatically lost it??

Won't matter for me anyway since I had to swap plans last year.
Somehow we have been able to keep it. We have had these data plans for six or seven years. Anytime We go in for an upgrade we make sure that whatever we do it will not affect our current plan.

We are with AT&T.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I had 4 iphones and then switched to the Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows Phone 8. Love the phone. Camera and screen are awesome. The only issue is the lack of apps. But that is changing quickly. The best thing is how seamless it works with my desktop. It also has Office on it (yes, word, excel and such). And if you have had an apple product for a while and have a nice music library built up, no worries, the Microsoft phone program taps right into the itunes database, playlists and all. I wouldn't say it is better than the iphone, but it definately has everything I need and everything I ever used on the iphone. Well, with one exception. Tapatalk.

I'm using Motorola's for last 3 years very happy with them. Just last month upgraded to RAZR and is happy with it, battery life is amazing will last for at least 7 - 8 hours while driving through mountains using it as GPS, been doing it during poker run, and at the end of day was still at 20%.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Ill just buy my Androids outright in order to not loose my Unlimited Data, I like the security of knowing if something hits the fan i can turn on my Wifi Hotspot and keep a entire office online with out overages.

Ill just buy my Androids outright in order to not loose my Unlimited Data, I like the security of knowing if something hits the fan i can turn on my Wifi Hotspot and keep a entire office online with out overages.
This is true. Its hilarious because when the internet goes out at my office, all of a sudden all these "iphone" wifi connections pop up. We all just switch over to our smart phones.

On the flipside my first job in ATL, everytime the internet went out, we went home. So I'd sit in my apartment with the windows open, have my laptop open, and a glass of scotch next to it. That was nice.