New Rules for Spectators and Drivers needed

This story screams "this could happen to us". At the MCJ Spring Offroad Festival someone was a bit reckless and could have done something simliar. We will be working to make it safer in the future. What a sad story to read.

http://globalnews.ca/news/575092/jeep-show-organizers-speak-about-tragic-incident/

show-and-shine-accident.jpg

Edmonton – One day after a tragedy at the Jeeps Go Topless Show and Shine, organizers of the event are speaking about the incident.

“We are very very saddened by what happened yesterday, and our hearts go out to not only the family of the victim, but to everybody that was present and is affected by what happened,” says Sarina St. Germaine with the Alberta JK Owners Group.

A 20-year-old woman died after she was struck by a jeep that lost control during Saturday’s show at Oliver Square.

The woman was a spectator at the event.

Witnesses say a man driving an orange and black jeep was demonstrating a stunt, in which he drove his jeep up onto the tire of another jeep. The maneuver was over when the orange and black jeep accelerated forward, crushing the woman against the hood of a nearby jeep.

Edmonton police say a woman in her 20s has died, after a Jeep stunt went terribly wrong in Oliver Square, Saturday, May 18, 2013. Woman killed at Edmonton Jeep show

Paramedics performed CPR on the woman, before she was rushed to hospital where she died.

The Alberta JK Owners Group says the event was well planned and the maneuver was not a stunt.

“It is something that is done a lot. It’s a very slow maneuver. This has been done many times without any problems,” explains St. Germaine.

Shortly after Saturday’s incident, one witness said there was nothing the driver of the jeep could have done, but she wondered why bystanders were allowed to stand so close.

“They shouldn’t have allowed so many people next to this thing,” said Desiree Hallworth. “They should have had it blocked off so that people couldn’t have been so close, because something did go wrong.”

Police say the investigation is still in it’s early stages and no charges have been laid at this time.

Possibly. At the same time go read the thread over on pirate. The story (could be that the reporter is an idiot and isn't properly conveying what actually happened, which can happen when things get technical) doesn't quite add up. These concerns are voiced on pirate so I won't waste the space here for the discussion.

That said, the need to start pushing back spectators doesn't hurt.

no, but rolling off the RTI ramp trying to recover and doing a burnout, then driving an unregistered buggy up the street is....
Technically not... everything except the "driving an unregistered buggy on the street" happened on private property so therefore it wasn't against the law.... Not reckless, just operating uninsured.. :hnd:

But i do see what you mean, And I have been to events that got way outta control.. But sometimes we have to realize that accident's happen. I know we all take for granted that everybody on here know's how to wheel and what the capabilities of their rig are, but we are dealing with a whole new crowd of wheelers out there today. They watch MADRAM on youtube and think that their JK on 33's will do the same.

Accidents happen, i hate someone got killed, and i hate it even more for the driver of the Orange JK who has to live with that, but it seems that there is something else missing from that story.... I just don't see how he accelerated so quickly in 4lo.. But i do agree with keeping spectators back a bit in a designated area when its time for these events to happen at a show.

Dang don't point any fingers.....
I had more than 5 people come up to me after that and tell me I needed to do something about it. I wasn't over there when it happend but I have seen the video. I'm just saying we need to look into it in the future and keep spectators at a safe distance back. There are lots of little kids out there admiring their dream jeeps/trucks/buggys, no need for one of them to get hurt by accident.

Technically not... everything except the "driving an unregistered buggy on the street" happened on private property so therefore it wasn't against the law.... Not reckless, just operating uninsured.. :hnd:

But i do see what you mean, And I have been to events that got way outta control.. But sometimes we have to realize that accident's happen. I know we all take for granted that everybody on here know's how to wheel and what the capabilities of their rig are, but we are dealing with a whole new crowd of wheelers out there today. They watch MADRAM on youtube and think that their JK on 33's will do the same.

Accidents happen, i hate someone got killed, and i hate it even more for the driver of the Orange JK who has to live with that, but it seems that there is something else missing from that story.... I just don't see how he accelerated so quickly in 4lo.. But i do agree with keeping spectators back a bit in a designated area when its time for these events to happen at a show.
If you notice I said reckless, I replied to his comment of reckless driving not in a sense of the law, just reckless driving in general.

At the MCJ Spring Offroad Festival someone was a bit reckless and could have done something simliar

I know i wasn't there when gillis rolled off the RTI ramp, but the video i saw of it, it looked pretty controlled. And everyone was standing a good ways back from it.

01tj

I had more than 5 people come up to me after that and tell me I needed to do something about it. I wasn't over there when it happend but I have seen the video. I'm just saying we need to look into it in the future and keep spectators at a safe distance back. There are lots of little kids out there admiring their dream jeeps/trucks/buggys, no need for one of them to get hurt by accident.

If you notice I said reckless, I replied to his comment of reckless driving not in a sense of the law, just reckless driving in general.

I was the closest one to it and I was at a distance that I could have moved but it was very balanced. It wouldn't have happened if he didn't have permission. I would hate to see someone get hurt too but I thought it was pretty safe. Once agian I hate that someone got hurt at an event like that.

here is some video from the local news... I still don't see how it happened..
[video=youtube;Y6wANhWjstU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6wANhWjstU[/video]

I've gotten a careless driving ticket for spinning my tires in a private parking lot with permission of the owner....

As for the "they should have setup barriers to keep people from danger" people should have common sense.

Possibly. At the same time go read the thread over on pirate. The story (could be that the reporter is an idiot and isn't properly conveying what actually happened, which can happen when things get technical) doesn't quite add up. These concerns are voiced on pirate so I won't waste the space here for the discussion.

That said, the need to start pushing back spectators doesn't hurt.
I dont see the thread on pirate about it?

here is some video from the local news... I still don't see how it happened..
[video=youtube;Y6wANhWjstU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6wANhWjstU[/video]
I still dont see how it happend, unless he had it in 1st instead of reverse and stabbed the gas instead of the brake and ramped up the silver jeep... I'm still not sure how the girl got killed?

I still dont see how it happend, unless he had it in 1st instead of reverse and stabbed the gas instead of the brake and ramped up the silver jeep... I'm still not sure how the girl got killed?
Sounds like very crappy reporting, also how did the Orange JK end up backwards? What was the girl on the gray jeep for? Did she knock it out of gear causing the gray JK to roll backwards?... Moral of the story is just use some common sense. Stay back and tell people if your fixing to do something potentially "reckless".

I think the fella in the gray TJ on krawlers from Saturday should see this story. I drive like an *** hole on the obstacle but when people are around you have to have some sense.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
This is horrible. I hate to see innocent people get caught up in something like this. I agree, something doesn't make sense. But that is basically because we don't have all the facts. But that really doesn't matter. Someone should have stepped in and made sure people were safe.

In the past at the MCJ event, if someone was parked like that, the actual action of doing it was done way before anyone showed up.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yeh, realistically all you can do is make an effort to be organized and safe and then throw a waiver on top of that to help CYA. But guaranteed, someone is getting sued.