Need help.. trying to figure out how to operate my Yaesu FT-227R

I bought this CB Radio back about 3 years ago for $20. It was from a buddy that had it in his wrecker but sold the wrecker and so on. I also got a magnetic antenna with it. It has rode around in the trunk of my car for the past 3 years and I have never even tried it. I decided tonight I would hook it up to my battery and see if it works. I hooked it up and didnt realize what kind of radio I had. I turned it on and everything lit up and came on. My issue is I have no idea how to use this radio. I checked the back of the radio and the tag has it labeled as a Yaesu FT-227R Memorizer. I looked it up on google and it looks like this radio was discontinued. Also it says it has 800 channels?? The last little cobra I had only had 19 channels so it was easy to get together with my buddies on the same channel but how do I get to the regular channels on this bad boy with 800 channels? I also have no idea what the smaller knobs are on the top left of the CB. The last one I had 8-9 years ago was a cheap cobra I bought from Walmart that only had a volume and a channel knob on it. There is also a burst on and off switch on the back with another high and low switch. Any ideas? Lastly I am putting this in my b2 and I am trying to figure out how to run the antenna into the cab from the roof. Any ideas there? I don't know about running it through the door because it will cause water to leak into the cab. Also I don't think my cable that is attached to the antenna is long enough to go too far. I know this is a lot in one thread but thanks for any help!

cbradio_zps1e6ae0f8.jpg

It's just a side band radio. Mine has bands a,b,c,d,e I think. Each band has 30 channels and if you had a freq counter you can actually go between channels. You just have to find what the reg band is everyone uses. I wish that everyone on wheelin trips had radios like that. Then you can fine tune to a certain channel that the whole country is not on. It would be alot clearer channel to be on.

From another site I was told this is a HAM radio and i have to apply for a license to operate this thing. I thought it was just a cb radio.
Oh we'll just sell it then. Them ham dudes are sup up tight my radio is holy'r than thou types. When you try and talk to um they want all this "what's your id# blah blah bs"!

Oh we'll just sell it then. Them ham dudes are sup up tight my radio is holy'r than thou types. When you try and talk to um they want all this "what's your id# blah blah bs"!
Hey, Easy now.. Some of us on here are actually Licensed Amateur Radio operators. It is in fact a Ham Radio. It operates in the 144 mhz range and CB is about 26 mhz, so getting it to talk to a CB wont happen. This radio would require a license to operate legally. As for Radios while wheeling, ANYTHING is better than a CB in most situations, A FRS (walmart blister pack radio) Will work better than a CB. Plus you have the ability to operate with a Tone Squelch, also known as a privacy code. That allows you to only hear and talk to people using the same tone/code. Anyways, Its not just the equipment we amateurs use its the understanding of how radios operate, propagate its these theories that allow us to talk around the world with about 100 watts of power, There are CB'ers running "1000 watt" amplifiers and cant talk to the next city. With all that Said Ham Radio is a Awesome thing to get involved in, yes there are some weirdos, but the uses/need for reliable communication is very important. I wish we had more Licensed Radio operators that were jeepers, the hobby would be much safer (don't need cell phone coverage to call out) and wouldn't have to hear all the crap on a CB all day. Im more than willing to direct anyone wanting to become a licensed operator in the right direction.