MCJ GPW Rebuild Project

Talked to Gary yesterday, and he said he would be ordering parts today, So the front axle should be good to go soon.

Question, do we want to put the clean axle back under there and then do the rear, or should we clean the frame and rebuild the spring packs before we install the refreshed axles?

Probably easier to leave the axle to the side. Once everything is off the frame it is easier to move around. Especially to plate the rusted areas on the frame.

I guess the reason I ask is so that we can roll it around still. I would like to either get the rear axle to start tearing it down, or get it to someone else to work on, so that its gets done. Then we can send the leaf springs home with someone and we will have the bare frame to work with.

2 of the springs on the gpw were broken, so I would assume we are using two front ones from the CJ if they interchange.

My point being we need to freshen up 4 springs one way or another.

Here is a pic to put in perspective on the size difference between a narrow track wagoneer dana 44 and the Dana 25 in the GPW.

Dana44Vs27_zps2f118a54.jpg

Last edited:
got the outer knuckles cleaned out and cleaned up the king pin bearings since we are reusing them. The axle is ready for the new parts and brakes.

Gary said he ordered all the front axle parts as well as the body repair parts last Thursday. They should be here this week or early next week.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I guess some of the progress pictures have been posted in the MCJ section, but here's where we are now. We actually started fitting new panels today!

IMAG0213_zpsc7afb739.jpg

IMAG0212_zpsd31893a8.jpg

We also took the knuckles back off to install the seals and felts that somebody forgot... :shaking:

IMAG0214_zpsee5ea499.jpg

I guess some of the progress pictures have been posted in the MCJ section, but here's where we are now. We actually started fitting new panels today!

IMAG0213_zpsc7afb739.jpg

IMAG0212_zpsd31893a8.jpg

We also took the knuckles back off to install the seals and felts that somebody forgot... :shaking:

IMAG0214_zpsee5ea499.jpg
Good work! Who could forget a detail as important as the seals?