MCJ Exploring WNC Fall 2011

The switches arent the problem, its the white plug on the compressor that has a bad connection.

The plug on compressor looks like this:

ARB_compressor_install_10.JPG

I'm going to replace it with a high quality deans connector:

Oh I see what you mean about the Tamiya plugs.
I just installed my pump this weekend. I'll keep the info handy in case I run into trail troubles. So if it happens again you could just cut the plug of and twist wires.

Oh I see what you mean about the Tamiya plugs.
I just installed my pump this weekend. I'll keep the info handy in case I run into trail troubles. So if it happens again you could just cut the plug of and twist wires.
when I would wiggle the plug it would cut the compressor on, so yeah, I suppose you could twist the wires together in a pinch. I plan to spend the $3 and just put a nice plug on it.

Brooks, so your front axle has an ARB in it? How do you like it compared to a detroit or lunchbox locker?

The time for rebuilding my front axle is near. I was just going to rebuild the diff with a detroit and call it good. How do you like the ARB compared to the auto lockers?

Brooks, so your front axle has an ARB in it? How do you like it compared to a detroit or lunchbox locker?

The time for rebuilding my front axle is near. I was just going to rebuild the diff with a detroit and call it good. How do you like the ARB compared to the auto lockers?
my rear has the ARB, the front is a lockright. The ARB is night and day over my old detroit in the rear. I dont mind the auto locker in the front because most times I just leave the hubs unlocked till I need them.

my rear has the ARB, the front is a lockright. The ARB is night and day over my old detroit in the rear. I dont mind the auto locker in the front because most times I just leave the hubs unlocked till I need them.
Thanks for the feedback. I've had good luck with my rear detroit (then again I have that long wheelbase). I thought your ARB was for the front. In the same boat with the front axle, usually have the front in free wheel.

BTW, nice trip up the Max Patch. I've always heard that entire area has a crap ton of trails. However I haven't been up there since 2003. Glad to see the bus is still there.

The 8.8 doesn't have a soft locker available so it's the old school hard locker type and brooks is a pansy and doesn't like the jarring :flipoff2:

Seems I hear a lot of trouble coming from ARB owners, I know gillis's issues is from the way the lines are routed.

The 8.8 doesn't have a soft locker available so it's the old school hard locker type and brooks is a pansy and doesn't like the jarring :flipoff2:

Seems I hear a lot of trouble coming from ARB owners, I know gillis's issues is from the way the lines are routed.
Correction, the wife doesnt like the jarring and its much safer towing the trailer on the interstate with the open rear end.

and my arb has been great, just that one plug is troublesome, but that could be a free fix if I just hardwired the compressor in.

gillis's problems are because his plastic air line was run where it was able to touch his exhaust manifold....

You ever riden/driven a jeep with a full time locker? You don't notice it after driving it everyday. ARB's are sweet id run one if I had the money but for half the price almost after its all said and done I'd just run a Detroit or likewise and spend the money elsewhere.

I can see towing with a full time bringing the suck but I doubt I'd pull much if anything.

You ever riden/driven a jeep with a full time locker? You don't notice it after driving it everyday. ARB's are sweet id run one if I had the money but for half the price almost after its all said and done I'd just run a Detroit or likewise and spend the money elsewhere.

I can see towing with a full time bringing the suck but I doubt I'd pull much if anything.
this is a false statement, if you dont notice an auto rear locker in a TJ you are oblivious, and thats all there is to it.

Its fine with 109" of wheelbase. Only time you know it is there is either in a parking deck, or pulling a U-turn.

I remember riding with friends in college in their TJs. Can't remember who it was, but their rear locker couldn't make it to the sammich shop without popping or carrying on with some nonsense. If I had that, then it would drive me nuts. So I can understand going with an ARB in the rear for a rig that hangs out on pavement.

As of right now, the detroit in the rear of my rover pops about once a year. Still scares the crap out of me because the inside is like a tin can and it echoes. I always say, "WTF WAS THAT" then I remember.

also a big different between an Auto and straight shift along with what wheel base you have.

The comanche is roughly 120" wb with an auto. The detroit is pretty non noticeable until you have to get in the throttle heavier than normal when a turn is involved. ie. sitting in the turn lane and you need to gas it across two lanes toward cook out. (thats when people give you the gth look because the tires were churpin.

Also I can tell if one rear tire needs a little air because every once in a while if you leave a red light it will pull like hell really hard to the left when going straight then "kaboom" sounds like the dam rear end fell out and all is good.

Also I can tell if one rear tire needs a little air because every once in a while if you leave a red light it will pull like hell really hard to the left when going straight then "kaboom" sounds like the dam rear end fell out and all is good.
and that with a short wheel base and 5 speed was not fun with the wife driving...

this is a false statement, if you dont notice an auto rear locker in a TJ you are oblivious, and thats all there is to it.
You read that wrong or I stated it wrong, of course you know it's there, and you can very easily make loud noises and jump all over the road, but when you know how to drive with it and get used to it it's not a problem. I daily drove mine with a Detroit for years on highway and city driving, I never felt like it was much of a annoyance after learning to drive its quirks.

Mine was a softlocker too btw so less harsh

Last edited:
I'll agree with brooks, his detroit was miserable. Yes it worked, yes it did what it was suppose to but it "kaboomed" often and ratcheted/bucked like hell in parking lots. Also, shifted the jeep when you changed gears. I've driven his before and after the ARB, two different jeeps. It was well worth it in his case. Ive ran a detroit and a grizzly locker (same thing) in my ZJ and like Meaders said, i almost never notice it. Only time i can tell its there is when i put it in gear, its just the slop in the locker.

But i haven't been impressed with luchbox lockers in the rear, my old aussie was noisy and so is ronnies in his 8.8.

I couldn't justify an ARB in the rear of mine because my wheelbase (108") and with the auto but i would kill for one in the front!

Seems to all depend on what rig you have and what its going to be used for.