M416 Trailer Build

Well, I guess I let the cat out of the bag when I posted pictures from Uwharrie. I sold the jeep tub trailer and picked up this beauty from a guy in Jacksonville, Florida.
I got it last week and had a week to get it road worthy. My first issue was the wiring, it was old….1960s old and it was 24 volt. Now I had the option of putting another plug on the end and changing the bulbs to 12 volt, but when I started looking into the harness I found a few places where it had been hacked back together after rubbing raw I assume. So I decided to go with some simple round trailer lights that don’t look too goofy.

Still have some ground issue evidentally because when I don’t have my lights on the turn signals work great, but when I have my running lights on the trailer lights just stay on, no flashing…need to figure that out.

I plan to run the military tires for now, and I am picking up a spare thursday night.

Well, here are some pictures of what I have so far.

when I picked it up

At camp at Uwharrie

On the road home from Uwharrie

Attachments

very nice.. that one looks like its in really good shape. You see that thread somewhere where the guy built a hard shell cover for the top of it? interesting.... hmmm..... fiberglass....hmmmm...

so what other plans you got for it? slide out cooking drawer? flip top tent?

I had one of the surplus canadian ones a while back. Never should have sold it. it was literally was a surplus one that had never been used.

Last edited:
dam, I love the Canadian M101s they are always in great shape. Wanted one really bad, but they are all way out of my price range or in washington state or canada. I am picking up a roof top tent for it in April and I have the steel for a lid frame, but I'm thinking about skinning it in aluminum. Just havent gotten that far, been workin on other projects.

I have been wondering, what does a trailer like that one weigh? I towed a basiclly a lawnmower trailer the other day and my Jeep fell on its face.
Not mention that when I added a 700lbs gokart/dune buggy it really fell down.
I assume that the trailer was about 700-800lbs (solid floor boards).
Ive been wanting one of those to haul junk around in. Man I miss my truck.

By the way send more pics as you build it up. It is nice.

you think there would be a market

for a fiberglass hard shell lid that is lift assisted?

I've seen a couple of writeups of people making a lockable hard shell for it. I wonder if people would be willing to pay for a lockable, lightweight hardshell for it?

would certainly weight less than metal or even probably aluminum.

I would be interested..., I'm currently making a steel framed, aluminum skinned lid for mine. If you need something to prototype on I'm your man. People are paying upwards of 1k for the all aluminum lids. But the key is it needs to be strong enough to hold a tent on top.

So, is the goal to mount the tent to the cover itself (through the cover and have reinforcement load bars under the skin) or have a set seperate set of load bars that work independent of the cover itself?

If you were trying to mount the tent directly onto the skin, a metal frame would still have to be fabbed under the skin to support weight for the tent etc.

It it was a separate seat of load bars that were not touching the outter skin of the shell but either passed the weight through the skin to the body lip or around the outside of the skin, that would be fairly easy to do from the perspective of the skin itself.

I remember seeing a guy build some insane CNC trusses on the inside of the skin cover. WAs that the thread you were talking about?

So, is the goal to mount the tent to the cover itself (through the cover and have reinforcement load bars under the skin) or have a set seperate set of load bars that work independent of the cover itself?

If you were trying to mount the tent directly onto the skin, a metal frame would still have to be fabbed under the skin to support weight for the tent etc.

It it was a separate seat of load bars that were not touching the outter skin of the shell but either passed the weight through the skin to the body lip or around the outside of the skin, that would be fairly easy to do from the perspective of the skin itself.

I remember seeing a guy build some insane CNC trusses on the inside of the skin cover. WAs that the thread you were talking about?

yup, thats the thread i'm talking about...

i'm making my frame from steel to support the weight and then skinning it in .065 aluminum thats riveted to the frame with waterproof rivets.

the key is to make it where you can open the lid with the tent deployed, so you cant really use the load bars approach.

:
I would be interested..., I'm currently making a steel framed, aluminum skinned lid for mine. If you need something to prototype on I'm your man. People are paying upwards of 1k for the all aluminum lids. But the key is it needs to be strong enough to hold a tent on top.
Don't forget to insulate the aluminum from the steel or you'll have to deal with galvanic corrosion. Sorry, I'm a dork; we've been talking about that in class and the steel framed / aluminum skinned part jumped out at me. Just a heads up if you didn't consider it :grin.

--Justin

actually that was one question I had when i talked to the guy i"m getting the aluminum bent at. He told me they would not react. What do I need to insulate it with?

Just put a good coat of paint on it. Maybe have the frame powder coated. The theory here is correct, but if you paint it with something decent it will be a long time before there is a problem. Maybe get some thin rubber to pit in between the two metals.

Just put a good coat of paint on it. Maybe have the frame powder coated. The theory here is correct, but if you paint it with something decent it will be a long time before there is a problem. Maybe get some thin rubber to pit in between the two metals.
thats my plan as of now, not the powdercoat part, but the paint and rubber part. I build the main frame of the lid this past weekend. I hope to get some more done on it friday.

Its in fairly good shape just has dented up fenders, someone hacked a rear tailgate out of the back (which i didnt know wasnt suppose to be there until i saw brooks at uwharrie) has a crappy rear bumper too. I'll snap some pics when i go home for break. My dad got the inside of it linex'd a couple years ago and the outside painted black. Has a regular hitch on it now, which when hauling with my truck it sits funny with nose in the air. Theres definitely some things that need attention on it.

Brooks, i know at some point you were talking abour running a RTT on it, what kind were you looking at?