Jeannie wants a Jeep

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Hey thanks for all the info guys. Guess I’m going to have to regear both axles. So should I stay with the limited slip in the rear or go ahead and do a locker?
@Twilliamson is still running the stock limited slip and a front locker and it works well. You can also squeeze an extra clutch in the stack and tighten it up but still not be as harsh as a lunchbox locker.

@Fenrir will second the don't put a lunchbox locker in it.

@Twilliamson is still running the stock limited slip and a front locker and it works well. You can also squeeze an extra clutch in the stack and tighten it up but still not be as harsh as a lunchbox locker.

@Fenrir will second the don't put a lunchbox locker in it.
And Eaton E-Lockers are nowhere to be found...So...its ARB, and thats a less than popular decision these days.

Last edited:
The Spartan locker in my regular toyota 8" axle was stupid violent and cranky on the road. i hated it. When i out the Tacoma axle in, i used a Lockrite and this puppy has been so nice and pleasant to drive. It only lets you know its there every so often, but you would never know it is there.

The Spartan locker in my regular toyota 8" axle was stupid violent and cranky on the road. i hated it. When i out the Tacoma axle in, i used a Lockrite and this puppy has been so nice and pleasant to drive. It only lets you know its there every so often, but you would never know it is there.
I had a Lockrite in an AMC 20 under my CJ5 and it was easy to drive with 33s. Just the faint "click click" when turning.

I put a Rough Country 2.5“ lift on the tj but it sit kinda low in the front. So I had a ACOS spacer that I was going to put on my XJ and decided to put it on the TJ. Leveled it up pretty good. My new spring compressor made it much easier. 4F074D35-2EAD-4C40-B82D-82BA2A470BEC.jpeg 737D6418-6B78-489D-834E-FB2098BEB7DC.jpeg

So now it’s time for tire,axles,and lockers. What gear should I run for 285s/33s?
4.56 would give you a little better highway/interstate manners, 4.88s would spin to high i think with 33s at anything over 60. but that 4 banger and roof rack aren't going to be an interstate cruiser either way with the power and wind drag. For around town you should be fine with either.

4.56 would give you a little better highway/interstate manners, 4.88s would spin to high i think with 33s at anything over 60. but that 4 banger and roof rack aren't going to be an interstate cruiser either way with the power and wind drag. For around town you should be fine with either.
I agree it won’t ever be an interstate friendly Jeep. But should I worry about gears when flat towing behind the motorhome? The motorhome is comfortable around 60 to 65. I wounded if I should be concerned about that.

I agree it won’t ever be an interstate friendly Jeep. But should I worry about gears when flat towing behind the motorhome? The motorhome is comfortable around 60 to 65. I wounded if I should be concerned about that.
I dont think flat towing should affect it, and I'm not sure of the longevity of the little 3 speed auto with the 4 cylinder, but I did have a friend in highschool that flogged the absolute crap out of a 97 TJ 4 cyl auto on 33s and it sounded like the trans hated it and would slip, but it held on at least till we graduated. or he rolled it on the track behind the high school,

So what kind of metal is a pitman arm made of? I burnt up two 5/8 bits drilling it out. Bit went thru the steering knuckles like butter. After drilling and tapering the HD steering went on easy. BDBF0629-3726-40D8-A150-F962B4872BC5.jpeg