Hotshot loads

Anyone have any experience with hotshot boards, running LTL loads? I've been looking at ways to make some money during my downtime during breaks, weekends, and summer and this seems to be a pretty good route. I am debating selling/trading the 5.9 as is right now for a gooseneck to get rolling in this or could save for a decent one in 3 months. One big point is maintenance and miles on the trailer/truck but obviously I would not be doing 2500 miles a week with having another full time job. But that also concerns me about the insurance side of the business. Commercial insurance looks to be super expensive and I don't even know if I could cover it towing irregularly. Any input on any aspect of this would be great. Ive been all over the different forums reading this while my kids work on their Napoleon essays :grin:

What exactly is a hotshot load? You'd just be hauling stuff people needed shipped from one place to another in a certain area?
Exactly, ever seen shipping wars? There are multiple boards where when registered (some are $35-45 a month to join, others are 7-9% off your payment) you can view loads that companies or people have posted that they need shipped. They list the weight, required vehicle, trailer length, etc. So if you pick up a Columbia to Massachusetts load, you can hop back on the website and hopefully find something to pick up in Mass for the ride back.

Hmm that don't sound to bad. Start an LLC and write your trailer and truck off as an expense.

Is the payment up front or when delivered?

I looked into it while I was out of work. Too much headache and wear and tear on equipment IMO. That is unless there are just some places you'd like to go see for free.

You'll need a commercial drivers license. Also you are subjected to SCDOT. They came around the buses a few times and I got pulled once while DRIVING A CITY BUS. It is a bad time and if they find something wrong with the vehicle, its an even worse time. I was on the side of the road for 50 minutes. Fortunately I was on campus so I just had another bus on the route come get my passengers.

Oh and CDL license test sucks. But everything...LITERALLY EVERYTHING on your vehicle has to be in top notch condition. No worn bushings. Crappy shocks, bald tires, bad bearings, nada.

The extra $$$ isn't worth dealing with that headache.

As for being an actual hot shot, you gotta be flexible to be successful. And also plan on being empty on the way home. We used hot shots at my old job, taking emission control equipment to Portland, OR and whatnot. It was rough because often the truck would break down and we had to get a second one. Oh and I've never seen a hot shot truck that wasn't beaten to crap.

If you want a side job, become an HVAC guy. There is always someone on the weekends or evenings that needs freon in their AC. Go buy an old minivan or SUV for cheap and then take it whenever you need to go do work. I just paid some guy a lot of effing money to basically do that. After watching him, I hope my next house will have the new freon in it and I can just recharge it myself (barring leaks). You gotta go get some certificates but judging from the guy who did mine, obtaining said certificates shouldn't be that difficult.

Or buy and sell cars. Like my friends effing Jetta. Buy it, fix the oil-to-coolant leak and misfire. Clean it up, replace all the broken interior parts, sell it for +$2k. Done. You can always sell Hondas and chevy trucks. Those always move. Go do whatever to get into auctions and then use your truck and trailer to bring it home. Get a google number so when the SOB runs it into a tree and demands a refund, you can ignore them.

Or car parts. Here in ATL, I discovered a lucrative market in sedan parts. Who would've known. Oh and Land Rover Defender parts. People love them some wheels, bumpers, and doors.

Dunno, just trying to offer some other side cash ideas that don't involve misery.

You'll need a commercial drivers license. Also you are subjected to SCDOT. They came around the buses a few times and I got pulled once while DRIVING A CITY BUS. It is a bad time and if they find something wrong with the vehicle, its an even worse time. I was on the side of the road for 50 minutes. Fortunately I was on campus so I just had another bus on the route come get my passengers.

Oh and CDL license test sucks. But everything...LITERALLY EVERYTHING on your vehicle has to be in top notch condition. No worn bushings. Crappy shocks, bald tires, bad bearings, nada.

The extra $$$ isn't worth dealing with that headache.

As for being an actual hot shot, you gotta be flexible to be successful. And also plan on being empty on the way home. We used hot shots at my old job, taking emission control equipment to Portland, OR and whatnot. It was rough because often the truck would break down and we had to get a second one. Oh and I've never seen a hot shot truck that wasn't beaten to crap.

If you want a side job, become an HVAC guy. There is always someone on the weekends or evenings that needs freon in their AC. Go buy an old minivan or SUV for cheap and then take it whenever you need to go do work. I just paid some guy a lot of effing money to basically do that. After watching him, I hope my next house will have the new freon in it and I can just recharge it myself (barring leaks). You gotta go get some certificates but judging from the guy who did mine, obtaining said certificates shouldn't be that difficult.

Or buy and sell cars. Like my friends effing Jetta. Buy it, fix the oil-to-coolant leak and misfire. Clean it up, replace all the broken interior parts, sell it for +$2k. Done. You can always sell Hondas and chevy trucks. Those always move. Go do whatever to get into auctions and then use your truck and trailer to bring it home. Get a google number so when the SOB runs it into a tree and demands a refund, you can ignore them.

Or car parts. Here in ATL, I discovered a lucrative market in sedan parts. Who would've known. Oh and Land Rover Defender parts. People love them some wheels, bumpers, and doors.

Dunno, just trying to offer some other side cash ideas that don't involve misery.
Great advice from someone who has been there. I appreciate it! Any input on side money would be appreciated too. Probably should of just named the thread that.

And Jimbo when I went back to respond to this thread just now I thought the same thing haha