Heavy Wheels

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
There is nothing wrong with knowing and understanding the effects of each item on your vehicle. And it's good to have decent tech articles on the forum even if it's about minor things like this. If you have any technical feedback or experience on the subject, I would greatly appreciate the information. If you think this is a waste of time, by all means, don't waste your time. Just ignore the thread.

01tj

Greg do u know what your wheels weigh vs a manufactured steel beadlock in a 15? I know in a 17 there is only a few pounds differance. I have millers old wheels that he ran water in, Dustin didnt know there was water in them untill he broke them down to sell to me. I would think the only reason he did that would be to keep the front end front lifting as much.

my champion beadlocks weigh 21lbs each and I know that a Soft 8 wheels without beadlocks weighs in at 32lbs each. So I would say they are closer to 35+ or so with a weld on beadlock.

Yall have keep the aluminum wheels and I will keep running the steel stazworks double beadlocks. Nicks walker evens that kept burping air made me want to keep the double beadlocks.

Chromed out hundred spokes...I like it.
I saw a buggy one time on pirate that had beadlocked gold 100 spokes....it was badass. I've been trying to find it for a long time.

Only reason i've ever ran steel wheels is because i'm a broke *** dude, i'd much prefer Alums and when i can afford to buy some, i will. And the thing about water in tires, thats for traction.

I only lost about 3lbs per wheel when i went from stock cj steelies to my aluminum beadlocks. Mainly did the switch to attempt to shed rotational weight to save my front shafts but apparently not much of a change cause I managed to kersplode another front shaft at harlan. I did gain the advantages of beadlocks though and anything with beadlocks just looks cooler.:smokin:

And i have some pictures of that "dayton" buggy if i can find them. He apparently had to keep stopping throughout the day and retighten the spokes. haha looked like a true O-G for sure though.

Last edited: