Harbor Freight hitch carriers

I'm planning on making a stop to the HF in Greenville here in a little bit. I'll take a look at it because i had thought about getting one for the XJ and i'll let you know. It looks nice though.

I had one for my TJ that we put a chest on and piled our suitcases in and could fit 4 peoples ish for a weekend trip out of town.

I bought this for my dad years and years ago:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200465263_200465263

Overall, its been darn good and hard to beat. It just works. Two people to install it is ideal but one person can man handle it. For a cheap rack, on a road-only SUV, its hard to beat. No problems, sits in the corner until you need it, great way to add extra space for moving crap or whatever.

Personally, I've been on the search for one that swings out of the way for my rover. But that is because with a rear hitch on, it blocks accessing the rear door so to effectively go to crap in the back, you'd have to remove it. Simply unlatching and swinging out of the way would be better for me. For the swing out one, as of right now taking this cheap one and having someone modify it actually seems to be far more price effective than buying one as they are quite expensive.

Also the little cargo net brings a lot of win as you can easily get to stuff. However we mainly used ours to carry big coolers or deer/hogs out of the woods so a simple piece of rope works for making sure you don't bounce dinner off the back.

Hope this helps.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yeah, that's the style I've seen before. I'm thinking the higher sides of the HF one might be better.

I basically want it to put cooler, tent, etc on on the way to camp. Once we set up camp it will come off so blocking the tailgate isn't that big of a deal.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the style I've seen before. I'm thinking the higher sides of the HF one might be better.

I basically want it to but cooler, tent, etc on on the way to camp. Oncewe set up camp it will come off so.blocking the! Tailgate isn't that big of a deal.
Maybe use the money saved to buy a nice box to put the tent, etc in. Then it won't get muddy/wet/pooped on by birds on the way to the campsite? Then you have a box to sit on when you are telling stories and whatnot.

Dunno, just an idea.