Great craigslist find, warn 8274

that one looks soo sharp... on a yj imagine what it would look like on a tj :hnd: haha here's some pics from yesterday, forgot to take a picture of all the pieces after they were sand blasted though.

paintedwinch.jpg
sandblasting.jpg

thats the dual motor mod that you can do to the 8274... its soooo expensive and not worth the price. if its not producing enough power you could put the 9.5 motor in it

almost done with it. still waiting on some parts from warn to finish up the breaks. also still waiting on my synthetic line to come in. but this is how it looks right now!
winch.jpg

actually the seals on the drum were in good shape, no dry rot, or anything. and it fits good, not any play at all. on the case i didn't bother buying one, i just used some silicone to seal it off.

and totaling everything up

winch - 120
motor rebuild- 60
new main gear- 58
new stainless balls- 11
warn parts- 28
paint/misc- 15

so 292 total.. not too bad. may still have to get new solenoids. these are all reading between 3.4 and 4.5 ohms, which is what billavista (the author of the pirate rebuild thread) said is okay.

The synthetic line with the crush proof thimble and a hook was 250, so all together 550 in the winch.

also still have to fab up a solenoid cover, and set up the control wires inside. but got to make a bumper before i set up control wires haha

Last edited:
well.. i'm not too happy. warn just now shipped those parts that i ordered last monday! thats a little bit on the slow side i think. i mean i'd understand if i was ordering something big, but i had tiny stuff.

from their website or on the phone with customer service?

What parts did you order? Some replacement parts are considered MTO (made to order) and can take several days for them have ready to ship. Or they could have just been backordered. If you actually spoke to someone at customer service they should have said whether or not they had the parts in stock or not. name of person? I can see what the hold up was.

from their website or on the phone with customer service?

What parts did you order? Some replacement parts are considered MTO (made to order) and can take several days for them have ready to ship. Or they could have just been backordered. If you actually spoke to someone at customer service they should have said whether or not they had the parts in stock or not. name of person? I can see what the hold up was.
i didn't call, i just ordered it online. i mean i assume that its just a busy time of year and they were backed up. its not a big deal. its not like this thing has to be on my jeep today. i just kinda wanted to assemble the breaks before i left town, but its not a big deal i can't finish it before then though.

some goodies :grinpimp:
winchrope.jpg

Main reason why I was asking is bc a lot of people I have dealt with through work think that they were buying straight from Warn when they actually weren't. There are a couple companys that use warn in there name but they are not actually Warn direct. If the website was not www.warn.com its not the factory.

what length rope is that?

Main reason why I was asking is bc a lot of people I have dealt with through work think that they were buying straight from Warn when they actually weren't. There are a couple companys that use warn in there name but they are not actually Warn direct. If the website was not www.warn.com its not the factory.

what length rope is that?
yeah i ordered it directly from warn.com, cause it was really easy to use the manual to find the part number, then put the part in the cart.

and its 100ft of 3/8th.. didn't really see a need for 125 ft in the south east, trees are everywhere, and i can always just hook up a 25 ft strap to get to the tree.

started building my winch plate today, until my grinder broke... then i had to get a new grinder, but man is this dewault 10 times better than the northern tool special! what took the old grinder 10 minutes to cut i was able to do in like 2 minutes. both sides have been cut, but i just took a picture of where the northern tool special died. also here is a picture of all of the measurements for warns winch plate (thanks brooks)

winchplatebegining.jpg
winchplatespecs.jpg
the 2x17 is for the braces on the back of the winch plate. will take pictures of that later.

got the brake on and some more progress.
winchcontinued.jpg

and aparently they changed the size of the clutch handles threads, because i ordered a new one, and low and behold it does not fit after i chose the correct model when ordering my parts. warn is annoying this is the only product i'm ever going to have of theirs lol.

Last edited: