Ford 8.8 Open Carrier

Well not all of them. 5ish backed out, 5ish broke haha. Anyone know anything stronger than red loctite? Ain't fuckin around. Tack welds?? :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Now what makes his jeep the one that needs Safety Wire? The only problems I ever heard of on the 8.8's was the Firestone Tires attached to them.

01tj

Now what makes his jeep the one that needs Safety Wire? The only problems I ever heard of on the 8.8's was the Firestone Tires attached to them.
There isnt a reason to Safety Wire the ring gear bolts on it. Take it apart clean it very well, check the set up, re-install if correct, and Loctite the ring gear bolts.

There isnt a reason to Safety Wire the ring gear bolts on it. Take it apart clean it very well, check the set up, re-install if correct, and Loctite the ring gear bolts.
Yeah im thinking the lock tite he put on at windrock was full of gearoil because he didnt clean out the holes. So it never sat up.

Sent from my DROIDX

I always shoot brake cleaner in the ring gear holes, shoot air into hole with blow gun and repeat 4-5 times to get ALL of the junk and oil out of each hole. Then use red loctite and make sure to torque the bolts to spec with a torque wrench - don't just run them down with an impact. Uneven torquing can cause bolts to loosen up easily.

Never said the safety wire was necessary, but it does work very well and it's not overly expensive. Also to add to what Kirby said(same way I do mine) it's a good idea to replace ring gear bolts when ever they are removed. It's not required, but a very good practice to get into.