Fab Project Thread

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Looks really good. A few noob questions if you don't mind. This is the first setup like this that I have seen good pictures of and I didn't visualize the uppers mounted on the inside of the frame rail. Is this normal? Do the ends provide enough pivot in the ball joint itself to allow the full articulation? Probably a stupid question. But I'm learning.

Also, the cracks. Was that from one serious event or just repeated stress on the trails?

Thanks for the great thread. Learning along with your project.

Ya i actually just looked at your thread on JF and saw that. Any reason you do your upper frame joint like that? Ive seen that done a lote recently and wondered if you got full articulation out of the joint like that.

Ya i actually just looked at your thread on JF and saw that. Any reason you do your upper frame joint like that? Ive seen that done a lote recently and wondered if you got full articulation out of the joint like that.
I used to have my uppers mounted like that, and you do get all the travel out of the joint and there is usually extra. The longer your arms the less movement you get in those joints. Mounting the joints like that does limit you in the adjustablity of the hight of your upper links, but it eliminates the need to make angled brackets for the uppers as well. In other words, its easier to build, but harder to adjust.

Looks really good. A few noob questions if you don't mind. This is the first setup like this that I have seen good pictures of and I didn't visualize the uppers mounted on the inside of the frame rail. Is this normal? Do the ends provide enough pivot in the ball joint itself to allow the full articulation? Probably a stupid question. But I'm learning.

Also, the cracks. Was that from one serious event or just repeated stress on the trails?

Thanks for the great thread. Learning along with your project.
Yeah most of the time I see uppers mounted on the inside of the frame rail with most 4 links. Mounting them on the inside allows you to get enough separation from the bolt hole of the lower mount to the bolt hole of the upper mount. You dont want the bolts to be on the same plane if that makes any sense like some bolt on kits.

And about the cracks, I dont have a true frame on my Grand Cherokee like the Wranglers. The stress from the short arms I was running on 5.5" of lift was to much and eventually ripped my upper control arm brackets off the unibody. Just keep reading and learning, 2 years ago I was begging Brooks to get under my jeep and do the 4 link for me :roll:

I used to have my uppers mounted like that, and you do get all the travel out of the joint and there is usually extra. The longer your arms the less movement you get in those joints. Mounting the joints like that does limit you in the adjustability of the height of your upper links, but it eliminates the need to make angled brackets for the uppers as well. In other words, its easier to build, but harder to adjust.
Yeah I get plenty of travel out of the heims. With how the axle flexes, and the joints mounted on the middle of the axle you dont really use to much of the misalignment. I can run an 18" travel shock before theyd max out. Now if I was airing the Jeep out and the whole axle drooped at once that would be a different story but with crawling that wont happen. Brooks with the limited space I have there really wasnt much of an option as far as where to place the upper height wise. I had to get it low enough for the arm to not hit the bottom of the jeep but high enough to get enough separation, and there was really only about an inch of play with that.

Yeah most of the time I see uppers mounted on the inside of the frame rail with most 4 links. Mounting them on the inside allows you to get enough separation from the bolt hole of the lower mount to the bolt hole of the upper mount. You dont want the bolts to be on the same plane if that makes any sense like some bolt on kits.

And about the cracks, I dont have a true frame on my Grand Cherokee like the Wranglers. The stress from the short arms I was running on 5.5" of lift was to much and eventually ripped my upper control arm brackets off the unibody. Just keep reading and learning, 2 years ago I was begging Brooks to get under my jeep and do the 4 link for me :roll:

Yeah I get plenty of travel out of the heims. With how the axle flexes, and the joints mounted on the middle of the axle you dont really use to much of the misalignment. I can run an 18" travel shock before theyd max out. Now if I was airing the Jeep out and the whole axle drooped at once that would be a different story but with crawling that wont happen. Brooks with the limited space I have there really wasnt much of an option as far as where to place the upper height wise. I had to get it low enough for the arm to not hit the bottom of the jeep but high enough to get enough separation, and there was really only about an inch of play with that.
yup, looks good ronnie, I would suggest a limit strap on the rear if the shocks dont keep the heim from bottoming. When somebody throws your jeep up on a lift you dont want it to max out those hiems.