Ecgs

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Oh, and I started to get a violent vibration on the way home, I noticed it on the trip there, but it was getting really bad. I knew something was going wrong and that if I didn't do something, it was really going to go bad and quickly. I couldn't tell where the vibration was coming from because the whole jeep was just hopping and shaking. I pulled over and knew I had to change a tire but didn't know which one. I figure if the tire was hopping, the shock on that corner would be substantially hotter. Sure enough, the rear passenger was scorching. So I decided to change that one. When I got under the jeep to jack it up, I seen it. This is what I seen.

I guess I can add another item to the Bumpus Cove carnage list. I now have a permanent spare.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
When an ARB leaks, there are two places that it usually happens.

1. The copper line inside the differential gets caught by the ring gear and it tears it up. At that point air does not make it to the locker and just rushes into the diff and out the vent tube. The locker has no chance to lock.
  2. The air leaks out through the o-rings that run on each side of the air entry point (where the copper line enters the assembly). This is due to failure of the rings or poor installation.

Mine was neither of these. My ARB was leaking from the air bladder (or diaphragm) that inflates to move the locking ring out into the diff. They said that never happens and they were surprised to see that. The only explanation they could come up with is that the gears were not properly broken in and reached a really high temp. That temp damaged the seal and it began to leak.

But they fixed it and hopefully I won't have any locker issues up at Windrock.

When an ARB leaks, there are two places that it usually happens.

1. The copper line inside the differential gets caught by the ring gear and it tears it up. At that point air does not make it to the locker and just rushes into the diff and out the vent tube. The locker has no chance to lock.
  2. The air leaks out through the o-rings that run on each side of the air entry point (where the copper line enters the assembly). This is due to failure of the rings or poor installation.

Mine was neither of these. My ARB was leaking from the air bladder (or diaphragm) that inflates to move the locking ring out into the diff. They said that never happens and they were surprised to see that. The only explanation they could come up with is that the gears were not properly broken in and reached a really high temp. That temp damaged the seal and it began to leak.

But they fixed it and hopefully I won't have any locker issues up at Windrock.
I dont think that high temp theory could be valid because mine got hot enough to leave a burn on my hand and burn the gear oil 2 years ago right after I had my ARB put in and mine still locks fine.