Club event ideas for winter/spring

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
We need to come up with a few possibilities for club events in the winter/spring. Post ideas here.

-wrench day + lunch
-shooting / cookout at Will's
-Dan mentioned Kaiser Willys in Aiken
-Dale mentioned Sumter National Forest

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Does anybody have some work to do on their rig that you either need a hand with or don't have the tools to do? We've done wrench days in the past and it worked pretty well. I'm thinking things like brakes, u-joints, mounting tow points, stereo installation, cb installation/tuning, mounting a winch, swapping to adjustable control arms... I have two garage bays we can work in and a large pad outside, welder, torch. If there's some interest we could do something in February and provide lunch.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I will need assistance putting on the new armor. Sounds simple, but it's heavy, hard to do by myself and also these replace the inner fenders so there is some complexity to it.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
If there are a good bit of beginner wheelers in the club, maybe organize a trip to that Uwharrie Off-Road Training Center once a year or so. (just seen the ad at the top)

What goes on in "off-road training"?
they teach you proper winching techniques, how to tackle trail obstacles, how to use the parking brake or your brakes to help stop an open diff from spinning, trail fixes, etc. Its stuff that many beginners dont know.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Just take them to that Compound place and say....anything you see here, don't do that.
True... We didn't do their training class. We had a guided tour of their new property with instruction as needed, and had a good time. I think their class would be pretty cool.

Im interested in a wrench day ill help anybody with anything involving wrenching as long as someone helps me install a stereo since im basically inept with wiring...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'll talk with the other officers this weekend and we'll get something set up. Joe, radio is no problem. If you want it done right, get the plug in harness/adapter for an xj and it won't take much time at all.

An adapter is the only way to install a radio IMO. Cutting the stock plug and wiring to the stock stuff is (insert mr.t smiley that we don't have) rigged.

What goes on in "off-road training"?
some guy fawking yells at you a lot while you are trying to concentrate. He also occasionally talks on a walkie talkie. Also if you disagree with him about a winching technique he will bitch and moan a lot. He will also tell you to BTM (brake torque modulation) when your computer is already doing it for you, and then argue that by doing it, it will override the factory traction control (which it wont). He will also spot you into a tree. The closest thing I needed to btm all day was the bm I took next to the trail. I imagine if I was green to it, it would be helpful. But I am old, set in my ways, and way to gotdern stubborn for that crap. If Samuel would start coming on rides again i'd have my dam spotter....

Last edited: