Campsites around Linville Gorge/ Blue Ridge Pkwy Viaduct

Hey everone. I'm planning on doing a camping weekend soon to take in the fall leaves along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Planning on running up to around Asheville after work on Friday and camping where Brooks did on his East Coast Adventure Post. Then Saturday the plan is to head up the BRP north and stop in at Mt. Mitchell, maybe Craggy Gardens and continue up to Linville Falls. I don't know if its too ambitious to make it that far in a day or not; google says its 3 hrs of driving but we'll be taking our time. I know of the camping by Mt. Mitchell off of S. Toe River Rd, but don't know of any good spots between there and Linville or around Linville. I've not been in the area before and was hoping for some pointers. I was looking for primitive/free options that could fit the smallish popup we'll be towing. Anybody have any ideas? This will be the inaugural trip for both the Discovery after TDI swap and our new popup. Thanks.

Hey everone. I'm planning on doing a camping weekend soon to take in the fall leaves along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Planning on running up to around Asheville after work on Friday and camping where Brooks did on his East Coast Adventure Post. Then Saturday the plan is to head up the BRP north and stop in at Mt. Mitchell, maybe Craggy Gardens and continue up to Linville Falls. I don't know if its too ambitious to make it that far in a day or not; google says its 3 hrs of driving but we'll be taking our time. I know of the camping by Mt. Mitchell off of S. Toe River Rd, but don't know of any good spots between there and Linville or around Linville. I've not been in the area before and was hoping for some pointers. I was looking for primitive/free options that could fit the smallish popup we'll be towing. Anybody have any ideas? This will be the inaugural trip for both the Discovery after TDI swap and our new popup. Thanks.
Old nc 105 has a good number of free primitive road side sites. That would be the closest area to linville that i know of.

Sent from my DROIDX

Just for anyone finding this thread through search, there are 3 drive in/trailer sites along the South Toe River Here and 3+ walk in tent camping sites. There's also a campground on this road but I don't know anything about it. The road was reasonably travelled when we were there but after dark, there were no cars passing through. There was easy access to the Mt. Mitchell 2 meter repeater (145.190, no tone) from this road as well, if you're a ham.

Just for anyone finding this thread through search, there are 3 drive in/trailer sites along the South Toe River Here and 3+ walk in tent camping sites. There's also a campground on this road but I don't know anything about it. The road was reasonably travelled when we were there but after dark, there were no cars passing through. There was easy access to the Mt. Mitchell 2 meter repeater (145.190, no tone) from this road as well, if you're a ham.
The campground is HERE

we stayed there on our May Adventure a few years back.

I see now that I did a terrible writeup on it here, I posted a good writeup on Expo I think.

http://www.offroadsc.com/showthread.php?46-East-Coast-Adventure-May-2011