Camera Issues, or is it me?

Yes. Open the photo in Windows Photo Viewer. Right click on the photo. Select "properties". Then go to the "details" tab. That will provide you with all of the EXIF data from the camera. There are other ways to get it but that is a quick and easy way to get it.

Best way to post it here is highlight, copy, paste.

found it, thanks

Wow, this is the first time I have seen the data for these pictures from last weekend.

I see why this photo is like it is, I had bumped up the shutter speed to avoid camera shake, but had inadvertantly let it cut the Aperature down to 5.6... Thats why I got only a small focused part of the picture.

FL 34mm
F Number F 5.6
Exp 1/500
ISO 800
Metering Center Weighted Average
Shutter Priority Mode

overlandrally2012 384_1024_683.jpg

So I know why that photo happend, let me pull up some where I was in Aperture priority

This picture was shot in Auto I assume because it says Unknown exposure program

Focal Length 24mm
F/4
1/500
ISO 2500

MCJ Camping Fall 2011 054.jpg

I dont understand how that one can be so clear through the whole picture when the Aperture was set to F/4?

found it, thanks

Wow, this is the first time I have seen the data for these pictures from last weekend.

I see why this photo is like it is, I had bumped up the shutter speed to avoid camera shake, but had inadvertantly let it cut the Aperature down to 5.6... Thats why I got only a small focused part of the picture.

FL 34mm
F Number F 5.6
Exp 1/500
ISO 800
Metering Center Weighted Average
Shutter Priority Mode

View attachment 1852

So I know why that photo happend, let me pull up some where I was in Aperture priority
So I'm going through some photos from last weekend and I've got similar effect on some of my photos. From what I remember, basically I was moving. I was in a ditch with a rig bearing down on me (its all fun and games until you take 2" DOM to the ribs..that hurts a lot). I was moving around and my shutter speed dropped to ~1/80th. Some of it came out blurry.

I know 1/500 can stop *almost* anything but if the camera is moving, it gets tough. Were you walking around and just tried to grab a snap or was this a steady shot?

took about 100 pictures friday at Dreher island while doing a little exploring. Seemed to do much better although on auto it automatically defaults to a pretty small aperture Low fstop number. Which does give some fuzzy backgrounds. But it seems to be much better overall. I'm going to take some more this weekend in Pisgah and make a final decision.

dreher+island+2012+068.jpg

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

dreher+island+2012+032.jpg

I need to work on selecting the proper aperture setting to get the focus area I want. Still practicing that.

1/250~1/400 is pretty good shutter speed for anipals. A f/5.6 is pretty good too, so roll with that and then massage the ISO to get about that.

Change your focus to continuous focus. I bet it is on single focus. What does that mean? Single focus means that the camera focuses once and then that is it. Continuous means it is always focusing as long as you've got the shutter button pressed half way down. This is ideal for dogs that are moving. The last photo of your dog, she was probably closer to you than the minimum focal length. AKA, too close. Remember these lenses focus down to a minimum of 1.5 feet...sometimes only down to three feet.

As you've said before, it is hard to shoot animals when they are coming at you. Best way is to give them something else that will get their attention. Bones work good for dogs and little furry/feathery things for cats.

What is your focus settings? Are you on area focus? Point focus? These are changed in the Menu.

1/250~1/400 is pretty good shutter speed for anipals. A f/5.6 is pretty good too, so roll with that and then massage the ISO to get about that.

Change your focus to continuous focus. I bet it is on single focus. What does that mean? Single focus means that the camera focuses once and then that is it. Continuous means it is always focusing as long as you've got the shutter button pressed half way down. This is ideal for dogs that are moving. The last photo of your dog, she was probably closer to you than the minimum focal length. AKA, too close. Remember these lenses focus down to a minimum of 1.5 feet...sometimes only down to three feet.

As you've said before, it is hard to shoot animals when they are coming at you. Best way is to give them something else that will get their attention. Bones work good for dogs and little furry/feathery things for cats.

What is your focus settings? Are you on area focus? Point focus? These are changed in the Menu.

I have changed the focus settings a few times, I did a master reset before the trip last friday, I'll see what it was set to. I would love to get some suggestions on what it should be for different types of shots. My main thing is I would like to get a basic setting that will work well for most things, where I just need to adjust aperture and shoot. I know thats wishfull thinking.

I'll check what the settings are tonight and get back to ya.

then when I am in Aperture priority i also have the option of changing the focus mode:

af-a auto servo
af-s single servo
af-c continuous servo
mf manual

what should I be using?

When you get it back, set to single area. 3D tracking brings the win for sports. I loved it when I was shooting sports all the time. Literally, I could lock onto a player and the camera would automatically focus on that player as they moved. Friggen beautiful. Works good if trying to photo little animals/kids that are running around. Otherwise single area and as you shoot, look through the viewfinder and pick what you want to be your focus. Never had any use for dynamic area and auto is useless.

Set the servo to AF-C. What this means is that as your subject moves (AKA rovers, jeeps, yotas, etc) the focus will change, keeping it in focus. AF-S is good for landscape photos but really AF-C also works. Lately I've been doing landscape and on AF-C my camera sometimes "hunts" for the focus. A lot of times I end up setting it on manual. Which is fine. AF-A is useless.

Looking at your photos, focus seems to be your biggest issue and I think these two setting will help you.

These setting are more "manual" and less automatic. However once you become familiar with them then you'll get better photos. Also I just checked groupon for Columbia, SC. They have a couple for photo classes. If you want to get better, this is the best place to start. Friggen $25 for a jump start on getting what you want from a DSLR. Frankly, I practically killed my old D70s just learning how to take photos and figuring it out. You gotta shoot A LOT. Also as I am being reminded of, to stay sharp you gotta practice.

When you get it back, set to single area. 3D tracking brings the win for sports. I loved it when I was shooting sports all the time. Literally, I could lock onto a player and the camera would automatically focus on that player as they moved. Friggen beautiful. Works good if trying to photo little animals/kids that are running around. Otherwise single area and as you shoot, look through the viewfinder and pick what you want to be your focus. Never had any use for dynamic area and auto is useless.

Set the servo to AF-C. What this means is that as your subject moves (AKA rovers, jeeps, yotas, etc) the focus will change, keeping it in focus. AF-S is good for landscape photos but really AF-C also works. Lately I've been doing landscape and on AF-C my camera sometimes "hunts" for the focus. A lot of times I end up setting it on manual. Which is fine. AF-A is useless.

Looking at your photos, focus seems to be your biggest issue and I think these two setting will help you.

These setting are more "manual" and less automatic. However once you become familiar with them then you'll get better photos. Also I just checked groupon for Columbia, SC. They have a couple for photo classes. If you want to get better, this is the best place to start. Friggen $25 for a jump start on getting what you want from a DSLR. Frankly, I practically killed my old D70s just learning how to take photos and figuring it out. You gotta shoot A LOT. Also as I am being reminded of, to stay sharp you gotta practice.

Thanks Max!

figured I would update this thread, got it back from the geek squad and it works like new. They said they replaced bushings in the lens, and something else.

gpw 024.jpg