Camera Issues, or is it me?

I have been using numerous point and shoot cameras for years and have never had a problem with consistently blurry pics. The wife and I got a Nikon d3100 last year to take on trips so we could have some photos for our house. When we got the camera it seemed to take nice pictures that were clear on just about any setting you used. I have noticed over the past year I was getting worse and worse pictures using the auto setting and any of the preset settings.

I know that my first step in figuring out if it is the camera is putting it on a tripod and taking some pictures to eliminate camera shake...but I have never used a tripod and I have never had blurry pictures until now.

Let me give you some examples.
This was on the first trip out on Auto
9.jpg
40.jpg

Now these are the typical photos I get when using auto
Bumpus 7-20-12 314.jpg
2ndanniversary 036.jpg

I have tried many different settings and I just dont know what to do other than have it checked out by a professional. I just dont understand why I can shoot in auto with my $200 point and shoot, and my DSLR shoots blurry pictures...

Any suggestions? I need to figure this out asap

I don't know what your work flow is But my recommendation would be just do a reset to defaults to make sure it isn't a setting issue, the only down side is your Image numbering starts over. I would also check with Nikon to see if there are any Firmware updates out. I have never owned any Nikon but I have done a couple of my Canons in the past not to really fix a problem just to be certain i had the latest and greatest.

I don't know what your work flow is But my recommendation would be just do a reset to defaults to make sure it isn't a setting issue, the only down side is your Image numbering starts over. I would also check with Nikon to see if there are any Firmware updates out. I have never owned any Nikon but I have done a couple of my Canons in the past not to really fix a problem just to be certain i had the latest and greatest.
thats something I was just looking for was a master reset or something to make sure we havent changed some setting, which I'm hoping we have.

Shutter speed too slow?
I have gotten better pics with a faster shutter speed, but I can only change those in the manual modes like P, A, S, M. I would really like to be able to hand my camera to anyone without having to explain to them what aperture is... by just handing it to them in auto.

Its almost like its lost its calibration, It tries to focus on the middle of the photos but never gets dead on. Have you tired putting it in manual focus to make sure its not the lens?

I have gotten better pics with a faster shutter speed, but I can only change those in the manual modes like P, A, S, M. I would really like to be able to hand my camera to anyone without having to explain to them what aperture is... by just handing it to them in auto.
Change the focus setting from "area focus" to "spot focus". You can change the spot you want to focus in on in the viewfinder. I think that is a step in the right direction and prevent issues like what happened in the above photo.

When you are in direct sunlight (BTW good job at keeping the sun to your back), it is easy to get good photos. Photography is all about the light and it is easy when it is plentiful. Get back in the woods about 30 minutes before dusk, you gotta start working it.

You probably also have it set on auto ISO. Auto ISO does nothing but screw up everything. I recommend manual setting it. If you are in direct sunlight, roll with ISO 200. Back in the woods, 800. I forget if the D3100 has the Gen 2 or Gen 3 sensor in it. Either way at ISO 800 you won't notice any image degration. 1600 ISO if you are desperate or if it is dusk and you are flashless.

Want good photos? Start getting manual with your camera. Before too long you just know it. Its like how people operate a manual trans, manual lockers, cutting brakes, twin stick transfer case, etc. You learn your equipment and despite all the extra crap you have to manage, you know it and can work in harmony with it to get baller results.

However Aperture setting is like installing an auto trans, it helps.

this weekend I upped the ISO to 800 and turned off the auto so that I could get some faster shutter speeds to hopefully fix some of the blur i have been having...but I still got plenty of photos that just are not clear.

This photo was taken in Aperture mode set to f14 while sitting on a rock with the timer on to eliminate camera shake possibility and its still not very good.

overlandrally2012 284_1024_683.jpg

overlandrally2012 384_1024_683.jpg

more of the same, its not really a shutter speed blur because there are places that look semi focused, i would think it if was camera shake the whole picture would be blurry

Ok, So this was still using the Auto Focus, I Know Canon Cameras have a Micro adjustment and a procedure you us to fine tune the Auto Focus System of the camera. I'm beginning to think its a Auto focus problem. @ F17 you should have plenty of focal depth. Almost looks like the focal point was in the upper right corner. Does you Nikon let you see were the focal point was after the picture was taken?

Can you also post your EXIF data? I'm wondering what the shutter speed of the last two photos were. Looks like it was getting dark, so that wasn't helping.

Also I assume you are using the stock 18-55VR lens? Is your VR turned on? VR isn't the end all to help with keeping the camera still, but it does help. Every once in a while it allows you to get the "Hail Marry" on something with a long shutter speed handheld.

I dont have the camera here, and I cant figure out how to get the exif data from the photos in photoshop, i'll have to check my picasa account tonight.

can you view the exif data in the windows picture and fax viewer? I cant figure out how to if you can. Also, I'm using photoshop 6.0...like antique style, so if you can get to the exif data I'm not sure how to.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Two ways:

Windows: In Windows you can use Explorer itself to reveal the data to you. Simply find your image, right click and choose Properties then the Summary tab.

Photoshop: Ctrl + Alt + I together .... Or File, File Info

I believe you can view exif data natively if you have win 7. Right click file>Properties>Details. No real good way to export other than snapping a screenshot