Building a truss

I dig that. I wish I had a tube bender because that's what I would have done I like the looks of tube better. I plan on throwing these axles in and wheeling them while building a hp44 for front and jk44 rear and throw them in after they are built.

63c3c38a.jpg
deb793ec.jpg

You can kinda see what I mean on the front being close but I think I may have an idea for that. Decided I'd rather run upper on driver side since I have brackets already to use.

Attachments

I came up with a simple /````\ looking truss for the front last night but i'm going to go back to the drawing boards as i dont like the placement of it with very little weld surface. Probably will have to trim the coil bucket some, wish i could scoot it over just a hair.

Anyone have any more pics or ideas to share?

Joe i just went back and saw that pic your posted of the front, Anyway you can snap me a pic of how you did yours?

BTW, i cleaned my shop up some so it doesn't look so much like a clusterfawk.

Last edited:
Which jeep did you drive to work today? (lucky bastard getting to have that decision)

I may ride by and look under your rig ifyour in the tj.

nah, I'm in the J-20 today.

I just drilled and tapped it for extra assurance instead of only relying on welding to the cast in the event it wanted to rip off.

Steve do you remember how i did my truss? I dont have any pics on this comp but I kinda built an I beam I cut a piece of 3/8 plate to fit the contour of my whole axle and welded it on vertically along the length, then welded 1/4 bar along the top heating and bending as I welded to make a smooth rounded truss. I added some braces and tied it in to the diff with my upper mounts welded with cast iron sticks. I was really happy with it's look and performance

I can't really remember what it looks like honestly. That sounds about like what I plan to do. I have a bunch of 3/8 plate but it's all in like 3.5" wide by 8" long increments. I may try and bring it to the shop sometime and come up with something if in cant do something kinda like how joe did. I've never welded cast before, ive braised it but never welded it.

I plan to go to blue ridge steel Monday or Tuesday to pick up some 2x2 anyways and I may see about getting a longer piece of 3/8 so I can bend it and it be all one solid piece instead of 3 pieces welded together.