beadlocks and iroks in Augusta

great find i just texted the guy about the beadlocks! haha

edit: never mind just realized they were weldons and just had the tr ring... :( wasn't paying any attention

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to drive a set of weld on beadlocks on the street or steel beadlocks really.
exactly, the TR beadlocks are all aluminum... all these are is a steel wheel with weld on bead locks with the aluminum TR ring... i really don't want that, they would be sooo stinking heavy and probably really hard to balance.

exactly, the TR beadlocks are all aluminum... all these are is a steel wheel with weld on bead locks with the aluminum TR ring... i really don't want that, they would be sooo stinking heavy and probably really hard to balance.
TR did at one time sell converted steel beadlocks.

ohh well i texted the guy and he said they were welded with TR rings... so i'm assuming its a diy.. but could be wrong. but i still do not want to run steel wheels.

Trailready makes steel beadlocks too. I wasn't aware they had a weld on kit.

What's wrong with weld on steels? That all I've ever owned. I guess I wouldn't trust a set someone else made either unless I knew the person.
They're not hard to balance and they're not that heavy.

Last edited:
What's wrong with weld on steels? That all I've ever owned. I guess I wouldn't trust a set someone else made either unless I knew the person.
They're not hard to balance and they're not that heavy.
Kinda my thinking. I don't trust someone's welding I guess as much on something like that, leaking and warping is a pain.

I think mrw has some steelies that weigh comparable to some aluminums.

Kinda my thinking. I don't trust someone's welding I guess as much on something like that, leaking and warping is a pain.

I think mrw has some steelies that weigh comparable to some aluminums.
ehh i find that really hard to believe. steel is about 3 times the weight of aluminum... so idk if i'd want to run those wheels if they are the same weight as aluminum, they'd be reallyyy thin.

but correct me if i'm wrong cause i could very well be!

The weight of a beadlock comes more from the outside ring anyway. They are probably not DIY beadlocks with a TR ring. They are probably steel TR beadlocks with an aluminum ring on a steel wheel. The trail ready HD is the aluminum wheel.

I've ran a huge variety of different wheels, and the weight difference is something I've never been able to notice. The security of a beadlock is priceless even if I had to sacrifice some road manners, which I haven't.
I say just go with it. There comes a time to step outside myth to find what works best for you.

I have been running a set of 8 lug TR steel beadlocks for about 6+ years and have no problems at all., Street and trail........
It is unsprung weight, so it really does not make that much of a difference. What 5 lbs/wheel????
If you bend a wheel, the hammer is your buddy...

I figured the weights would be close on a aluminum beadlock compared to a manufactured steel beadlock. The advantages I see to going aluminum is more material for same weight=less likely to bend. I bent every wheel on my 4runner which had steel beadlocks.

On to the weight. Either way you go a beadlock is heavy. The DIY kits are typically a good bit heavier because of the thickness of material. My wheel/tire combo was super heavy and definately effected the power of the rig. I will never get a fancy ring for the outside again unless it's aluminum. They look cool and everything but the weight just doesn't justify it for me.

I actually said when I built my last set of wheels that I would only do a small purposfull ring but the guy I ordered from pissed me off so I ordered from KORE and did a custom design I had always wanted to do instead. Bad decision as far as weight but they did look pretty slick.