Anyone here a swimmer?

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I have been a runner most of my adult life. And even when "out of shape" I can just pick up and put on a pretty good run. But I would like to do a Triathlon. Maybe just one, not sure. But my concern is the swimming part. I am an average swimmer. Nothing special, but I can get around the water without too much trouble. My question for anyone that knows is:

Can an average person without any special training swim 1000 meters without drowning or completely embarrassing themselves?

I'm looking at doing the Triathlon in Lexington at the end of September ... maybe.

1000m is a lot to swim. That would be hard for someone who has not trained for. But I bet if you did some training now you could get it, just not super fast. It is equivalent to 40 laps and then sime in your YMCA 25 yard pool

I swam in high school and still swim for exercise now.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
That's what I figured. I used to do really well in the navy when it came to the Physical Readines Tests. I always did the run (1.5 Miles) and was one of the fastest. I tried to do the swim once (500 yards) and almost failed. But my upper body is in much better condition now and I know the principles of distance swimming better than I did then. But I still know that I shouldn't try to do 1000 meter swim without practice. I guess I'll look for one of the "sprint" triathlons for my first one.