Anyone have experience with well water filters?

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
We've always had an issue with sediment in our water. I have a Culligan filter at the pump and pressure tank, but it's the cheapo 3/4" inlet version. I normally use the wound rope filters and they last maybe 3 months before pressure really drops. These allow fine blank sand through, which is causing problems with our shower valves, toilet valves, dishwasher, etc. I switched to the 5 micron filter and after 2 weeks pressure has noticeably dropped. Something has to change.

First question, why after 8 years am I still getting fine sand in the system? When the well was drilled and the pump depth was set it was very very dry. I'm wondering if the pump is too low and that might affect it?

Second, any ideas on better filters that don't cost a fortune? I'm considering a 2 or 3 filter setup with a large particle filter into a fine filter into a carbon filter. This should mean I only have to change the large particle filter often.

Look into centrifugal separation. In a previous life I had some experience with Lakos. I've seen units for piping as small as 1-1/2" or 2". What's nice is these are few or no moving parts. Simple physics.