A tow rig discussion

The big problem with alot of these new diesels are people hot rodding the sheet out of them. New 6.7 dodges with blown a head gasket were a regular occurrence at big o. About all of them had an h&s chip turned all the way up and pulled alot. Stupid is as stupid does. Leave em alone and they are all good trucks. It mainly comes down to specifics on which one does your particular task best. A new 6.7 dodge is a beast but a ford and gm will wax it's ***. However the 6.7 will never make you wish for more power. Most trucks are bought based on brand loyalty. Then cab configuration and whoever has the coolest new gadget.

I agree with that. I am not exactly brand loyal but I am a Chevy guy at heart. My first diesel was a Ford, which I loved. Just didn't do exactly what I wanted it to do. And, I got a smoking deal on my Chevy. From driving all of them the Chevy is the most comfortable truck IMO as well as the best DD. The new trucks 11 and up's are all ridiculously nice though.

The modern diesels are tuned way the heck up from the factory, and shouldn't be messed with. Or atleast not jacked WAY up. Me and Jay run a mild tow tune on our trucks and it's mainly for a little improved MPG. It does help with the towing going to Harlan also. I would eventually like to do a on the fly adjustable tune with a couple different tow tunes based on weight behind me and a MPG only tune as well as deleting the DPF and adding an exhaust brake. I also plan on keeping this truck for a long, long time.

Chevy is definitely the better dd due to being smaller and lower. I was in Demarcus shoes I would prob do a 07 and up gas extended cab with Bose. Extended cabs are way cheaper than a crew. The new 6.0 and 6 speed are a slick combo and will walk the dog on the old 6.0 4 speed, which seemed to do the job well.

Just a little update on my ecoboost since an ecoboost was originally an option for OP.

So far, it has been great. I did put a tuner on it, 87 perf/ tow from 5 star tuning. No mpg increase that I can tell but more power and more importantly the shifting strategy is much better. I get around 23mpg to and from work and over 21mpg average.

Towing is very impressive, it makes my old 5.4 seem like it was a 4 banger. I can just set the cruise and run down the highway at 75 with ease. Mileage while towing is what I would expect, somewhere in the range of 14mpg using cruise running 75mph towing a bit over 6k estimated. Ford put in a lot of little gee whiz niceties for towing, nothing earth shattering just makes life easier.

I haven't had any real issues with it. I did have it reflashed and had to have the intercooler replaced under a TSB.

Overall, I am very pleased with the truck. It is nice to be getting that kind of mileage while paying for cheaper gas instead of paying for diesel when I do not tow that much.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Ohio. Bought it from my brother. Yes, it's a 2013 F150 with the 5.0, 4x4 and factory tow package with trailer brakes.

01tj

Harveys Duramax pulled two like a Champ all the way to Gray Rock. Only thing I dont like about it is the small fuel tank.