4.0 and parts

I've thought of the 4.0 swap over the years and remember talking to one of brooks old roommates who did it a long time ago, he said after all said and done it wasnt worth it because of how much you have to spend to get little gain, might as well go with a different drivetrain altogether.

01tj

I've thought of the 4.0 swap over the years and remember talking to one of brooks old roommates who did it a long time ago, he said after all said and done it wasnt worth it because of how much you have to spend to get little gain, might as well go with a different drivetrain altogether.
I'm with Steve on this, if I were to do it I'd swap somthing else other than a 4.0. I'd go with a 4.3 or 5.3.

Last edited by a moderator:
And when buying a vehicle you can part out what you don't need to get back some of your dough.

I think a 2rz or 3rz/aw4/300 swap would be cool. They handle boost well which is fun. I started a thread a long time ago about different motor swaps to throw info in I ran across, ill find it and post it up.

If you need a motor to replace yours now, I'd probably sell you mine. Not sure if yours is still a dd or not.

01tj

And when buying a vehicle you can part out what you don't need to get back some of your dough.

I think a 2rz or 3rz/aw4/300 swap would be cool. They handle boost well which is fun. I started a thread a long time ago about different motor swaps to throw info in I ran across, ill find it and post it up.

If you need a motor to replace yours now, I'd probably sell you mine. Not sure if yours is still a dd or not.
I think a 3rz swap would be a cool swap, but I would have to run a manual transmission behind it.

Another issue is gearing. The Taco case is chain driven and can't be geared as most Yota cases can. The ticket for that swap would be 3RZ, W-56, 4.7 case and pass drop axle up front.

01tj

Another issue is gearing. The Taco case is chain driven and can't be geared as most Yota cases can. The ticket for that swap would be 3RZ, W-56, 4.7 case and pass drop axle up front.
That would definatly be what I'd do. Sell my 44 and my 60 and put a 9" up front...

its still my DD, and besides what do i need all that power for... i know if im going to swap something at least swap something functional for my aplication.. yeah a 5.3 would be cool but i dont need all that, thats what a buggy is for:grin:

Inchworm makes lefty cases as well as marlin I believe. Pricey but could be worth saving from a new axle. My 3.4 in my tacoma isn't the most powerful thing but with 33s I've never had to gear down to maintain speed. The power difference between 3.4 and 3rz is very minimal and 2rz is right behind it by a few hp.

Auto may be cheating but you can make the aw4 shift manually or full auto which is cool. I'd think it would be shorter and easier to fit in a jeep as well.

i figured that steve, i didnt mean to quote that/put all that togther... anyway what condition is that 2.5

and marcus it just blew up when i was on the way home :shaking:

Numbers..

3RZ
150 hp (112 kW) at 4800 RPM with 177 lb·ft (240 N·m) of torque at 4000 RPM
weighs in at around 400lbs with all the accessories..

HP 190 and 225lb-ft tq (91-99 XJ's only) the wrangler verisons were making 173hp and 220lb-ft...
weighs in at 515 lbs.

5.3 (stock)
270 hp and 315lb-ft
weighs in at 525lbs w/ all accessories

180 hp and 235flb-ft
weighs in at 425 w/ accessories.

Sorry guys, i was bored at work...

Inchworm makes lefty cases as well as marlin I believe. Pricey but could be worth saving from a new axle. My 3.4 in my tacoma isn't the most powerful thing but with 33s I've never had to gear down to maintain speed. The power difference between 3.4 and 3rz is very minimal and 2rz is right behind it by a few hp.

Auto may be cheating but you can make the aw4 shift manually or full auto which is cool. I'd think it would be shorter and easier to fit in a jeep as well.

I was thinking if you had an upgraded front axle you could probably sell it and just come out cheaper with all new stuff.