3rd gen 4runner build

Well took it out to try the new setup at gulches. It did very well and I was fairly happy. A couple areas to address though. The driveshaft smacks the crap out of the gas tank skid to that needs to be trimmed. It makes some aweful sounds. Also I broke the rear ring and pinion in that rock garden above shipwreck. My 3rd member should be finished today so I can get it back in. Ended up going with some yukon gears. Initial impressions of the gears: I am pretty dissapointed they are manufactured in India and the gear pattern on the pinion is shorter than the stocker making for what would seem a slightly smaller contact patch on the ring gear. There is a little thin collar below the pinion head to make up for the difference so they still set properly. Hopefully I will get it back together tonight and get some break in time on them so I can wheel it again. Time will tell if this causes a reduction in strength or if it is negligable. Heres some pics for people who dont like to read:

ringgear.jpg
photobucket-4948-1329005205093.jpg

Last edited:
Also an unfortunate side effect of the bigger meats is my gas mileage is pitiful now. I average about 15-15.5. Down from around 18. Didnt think an inch of tire would hurt that bad but it did. Luckily it goes back to transporting the ol lady back and forth to the office when the rear is back together and Ill hijack the tdi.

Mines that bad sometimes worse going from a worn all terrain to duratracs both 33". I need to order the steering bushings like you have, I'm sure it would make a world of difference.

dang wish i would have known that. How much do yall charge to put them in? Since my face smash I cant really get unders stuff and hold tools above my face for a few more weeks. Too much money worth of stuff to mess up haha

Last edited: