Welding to TJ frame

So my friend and I are having a bit of a problem. I had bought some sidesteps forever ago, and I gave up on trying to get the nutserts for 'em, so I decided to weld them up!:grinpimp:
Anyways, the problem we're having is that the welder won't seem to penetrate into the frame on the front part of the side steps, but it's doing great on the rear portion. We put it off until later in the week, but we're thinking of welding in studs on the existing frame holes for extra support, but I still don't get why the welder won't penetrate on the front portion... Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I'll try to get some pictures later for clarification.:weld:

Make sure the frame surface is clean and free of any oil residue. Obviously check to make sure it's the correct wire being used. If all else fails, go to Brooks house. :la: I'll be gone all weekend.

You may want to make the step removable though. :eeek:

That was my original thinking with the nutserts, that I can take 'em off if I need to. If I really have to, well, I'll have to live with whatever happens:eeek: I'm sure my jeep will decide when it wants them gone next wheeling trip:grinpimp: