Used Car/SUV ideas

My sister in law is looking for a used car/suv. She wants to stay around $3500-4500 range. She is a single mom so I'm trying to help her find something reliable. She is wanting a Foreign car because she is hoping will last longer. I have no experience with foreign cars so that's why I am asking for your opinions. She has a Grand Cherokee now and says she doesn't want another Jeep. This one has nickel and dimed her pretty bad. I have found some Sante Fe's, Sorentos and XTerras. Do you guys have any opinions on what would be better or worse for her to look at? Thanks DJ

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
There's a reason you don't see many older Kias, Hyundais, etc on the road. They're getting better, but looking in that price range you'll be looking at ones I'd stay away from. Civics or Carolla would probably be your best bet, but they hold their value pretty well and can still cost a lot to service and maintain.

Shannon's carolla has been a great car. The week she bought it she had the crap stock tires replaced with michelins and it's super quiet now. She's put over 50k on it in around two years.

Used SUV you can't beat the CRV or a 4runner. My moms old 4runner just ticked over the 500k mark with no serious repairs. Her CRV was a great one too, but she sold it to get a truck to pull a camper with. She should have just kept the 4runner and pulled with it. Her sister owns it now and it just won't quit.

Pre-2012 Ford Explorers. They actually seem to be pretty good. Also the the Pre 2002 body style has been Jimbo tested. They depreciate like crazy and are good for 300k+ miles (usually around that mileage here in ATL, they get tagged). The old Chevy Trailblazers seem to be still going strong but not the newer Equinox. The cool thing is they had that vehicle with multiple badges so you can widen your search. Ford Fusion. A few people her at the office have them. They just run and take abuse. Nissan Altimas have always had a good reputation. If you could find one in decent shape, the Lexus ES300s seemed bullet proof.

The Hyundai Santa Fe. Yes the older Hyundai cars aren't known for their awesomeness but the Santa Fe "SUV" is stout. Hondas and Toyotas, all good. Just gotta search around. Izuzu trooper. People give the trans a bad rap but good vehicles.

Look around at different markets to find good cars and deals. SC has good used car prices but also I'm seeing decent prices out of Knoxville. Northern AL has good prices. Might be worth the day trip to save a bit of $$$ and for the correct vehicle.

I'd be surprised if you could find a decent used car at a decent price here in GA. Everyone rags their cars out and the market is still crap. I think NC has decent prices. You might be able to find something out of Charlotte.

I agree with all max's statements. Also that price range will buy a decent RAV4 and they are tough. Xterras seem kind of shitty in that price range. Built VERY cheap. A v8 97-01 explorer is a TANK. Don't get awd and it will get about the same mileage as 6 cylinder and have very low maintenance costs. I would put one up against any jap suv.

Thanks for the replies everyone. She says she definitely wants to try for an SUV. Her son is 14 and like 6'1 so she really needs something on the bigger size. So far I have found her some Trailblazers and Explorers. She had said she didn't want another Jeep GC but she sent me a link for a couple she liked. I know the 4.0 is a solid motor but what do you guys think about the 4.7? I have heard mixed reviews. Thanks DJ