Ultimate Adventure Petersen's 4WOR

I have followed this trip since its beginning in 1999. I had a subscription to the magazine from probably around 1996 until its last year in 2019. This used to be my favorite event they covered. Hell I couldn't wait for the issue to come in. Back around 2005 they started filming it, and releasing about a 4 hour full feature DVD on the trip. I ordered every single one, and still watch the one from Tellico a good bit to bring in the nostalgia.

Which leads me to my next rant. Motortrend, IMO, is absolutely ruining the automotive industry. They have taken over the coverage of the ultimate adventure since 2019 I have a subscription to their On-demand to watch Dirty Every Day, and the roadkill stuff which both have dramatically changed since big brother stepped in and started paying for it, and it left YouTube. But man have they ruined the off-road shows and production.

What used to be an almost cinematic experience has been reduced this year to five or six 10 minute long YouTube videos that show maybe 5 min of wheeling, and the other 5 is just product advertisement for $20,000 crate Dana axles. If I wanted to see this I'd watch some discovery channel crap. Its the same rigs every year, except for Dave Chappell who always builds something cool. It's just product manufactures bringing out company rigs. No more Suzuki sam, Tom Boyd in the bronco, even Fred Perry and Clemson 4Wheel is seem to have gotten the boot. No more reader's rides, nor the specific build for each trip each year.

I guess this is why my auto shows have turned more to the freelance independent guys on YouTube such as Vice Grip Garage.

sorry guys, rant over for now....

I have followed this trip since its beginning in 1999. I had a subscription to the magazine from probably around 1996 until its last year in 2019. This used to be my favorite event they covered. Hell I couldn't wait for the issue to come in. Back around 2005 they started filming it, and releasing about a 4 hour full feature DVD on the trip. I ordered every single one, and still watch the one from Tellico a good bit to bring in the nostalgia.

Which leads me to my next rant. Motortrend, IMO, is absolutely ruining the automotive industry. They have taken over the coverage of the ultimate adventure since 2019 I have a subscription to their On-demand to watch Dirty Every Day, and the roadkill stuff which both have dramatically changed since big brother stepped in and started paying for it, and it left YouTube. But man have they ruined the off-road shows and production.

What used to be an almost cinematic experience has been reduced this year to five or six 10 minute long YouTube videos that show maybe 5 min of wheeling, and the other 5 is just product advertisement for $20,000 crate Dana axles. If I wanted to see this I'd watch some discovery channel crap. Its the same rigs every year, except for Dave Chappell who always builds something cool. It's just product manufactures bringing out company rigs. No more Suzuki sam, Tom Boyd in the bronco, even Fred Perry and Clemson 4Wheel is seem to have gotten the boot. No more reader's rides, nor the specific build for each trip each year.

I guess this is why my auto shows have turned more to the freelance independent guys on YouTube such as Vice Grip Garage.

sorry guys, rant over for now....
I too used to follow the UA in the magazine every year, I have all of the magazines from 93ish till 2008. That was a good time for 4 wheeling. I haven't followed the motortrend and other TV stuff because I dont have any streaming services. Now a days I spend most of my time out in the woods, or the garage, or with my family. I dont have time to watch people do the stuff I want to do, I just do it. I hate to hear its gone to crap lately.

Ghost

SUPPORTER
My .02 on UA. Maybe I don't get it but I was in Harlan when they were there. I was very disappointed in finding out they ran Rail Bed and that was it. Played some in Lower Rock Garden but nothing else. They were camped up top at Putney. the SC guys, Clemson 4wd I think, and some others were camped near me. I mean when you bring built rigs to one of the best spots in the South East you should at least run the hardest trail there or something with some other than what they did. I thought they'd at least hit Mason Jar.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
My .02 on UA. Maybe I don't get it but I was in Harlan when they were there. I was very disappointed in finding out they ran Rail Bed and that was it. Played some in Lower Rock Garden but nothing else. They were camped up top at Putney. the SC guys, Clemson 4wd I think, and some others were camped near me. I mean when you bring built rigs to one of the best spots in the South East you should at least run the hardest trail there or something with some other than what they did. I thought they'd at least hit Mason Jar.
UA seems to be more about the journey than the specific trails. Getting the group out to Mason Jar and through would take the better part of a day. Honestly I'm surprised they didn't stay in Evarts and hit Rail Bed and Lower and be in and out in 2 hours...

Ghost

SUPPORTER
UA seems to be more about the journey than the specific trails. Getting the group out to Mason Jar and through would take the better part of a day. Honestly I'm surprised they didn't stay in Evarts and hit Rail Bed and Lower and be in and out in 2 hours...
Like I said I must not get it. When we do Rail Bed we usually hit Fish Fossil then LRG then Killin Time.