Tow Rig Prep for The West

Got the trailer portion of the equation taken care of last month.

Hoping to have the CJ 100% by 8/14 weekend so that will give me two full weeks to get the tow rig gone over.

Things to do/check:
-Install auxiliary fuel tank (stupid Chevrolet and their baby fuel tank)
-Check front end components and likely replace TRE's and Sway bar bushings
-Replace trans cooler lines (developed a small leak recently)
-Fuel filter
-Oil and filter change
-Rotate tires and inspect brakes (brakes have around 15k miles so should be solid)

Yes i'm a gluten for punishment and have drug this out to well close to the last minute. My goal will be to have all items complete 8/21 weekend and start to prep the parts and truck packing the week of the 24th.

My "26" gallon tank has never held more than 18 gallons. Towing that equates to stopping for fuel every 225ish miles.

Adding a 50 gallon aux tank we should be peeing in Gatorade containers a lot. Wife is in the mix though, so we will have to stop when it's her go.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'm going to mount a 5gal Jerry can on the trailer for emergencies.

Other than that, I need to:
-check trailer tires/bearings
-inventory tools, spare parts, etc in trailer.
-inventory fluids, etc in truck
-take out car seats and kids toys...

I'm going to mount a 5gal Jerry can on the trailer for emergencies.

Other than that, I need to:
-check trailer tires/bearings
-inventory tools, spare parts, etc in trailer.
-inventory fluids, etc in truck
-take out car seats and kids toys...
Let's start a thread of spare parts / tools we should pack, and who has it... No reason for everyone to pack all the same stuff... not all of us have those luxury long TJ's or JLs

Trailer spare and auxiliary fuel tank will be in late this week or first of next. Hoping to have the Jeep finished less clearing the body this weekend so next weekend will be tow-rig prep and spraying the jeep with clear.

My brother came up tonight and helped get the auxiliary fuel tank in the truck. Have filters and fluids in the amazon cart. Trans cooler hoses in the mail. A good afternoon and the truck will be ready for the trip.

Adding transmission cooler lines on a 2500HD to my things I don’t ever want to do again list.

I didn’t look before hand but apparently the book calls for 5 hours for this job. I see why....It took me about two of busting my ass to get them in. Still have to put skid plates and plastic radiator surrounds back in. Figure I’ll pressure wash everything before hand and change the fuel filter while everything is open.

Also got the auxiliary fuel tank plumbed today.

Tow rig prep is about done. Back on the Jeep tomorrow.