The ones you never saw - CRAWLMAG shoots

Ok so as many of ya'll know, I shot for CRAWLMAG for many years. I guess I'm still on "the list" for them but I haven't done any work for them recently.

Either way, I did, and still do a bunch of photography. Heck earlier today I was out and about shooting photos here in town.

Anywho, I have a bunch of photos and more specifically, a number of shoots that never made it to press. Shoots are like produce; use em immediately or they just get thrown away. It sucks to know I have a number of rigs shot that NO ONE other than I has ever seen them. In fact, it kills me sometimes to know that it hasn't been seen. I'd love to do a gallery opening but I know it would be useless. The best I could probably muster is to have some sort of opening at a wheeling event. But I don't think that'll work.

I figure the best I can do is throw them out here on the Internets along with the story behind the shoot. I identify with this group more than any of the others. Everyone here is pretty down to earth and about wheeling. Also I figure everyone here would appreciate what I've got here. As many of ya'll know, I have a wheeling story for just about everything. Kinda Ridiculous, really but that is how it is. I hope to get a couple of these up over the next two weeks. If nothing else, give ya'll something to do Monday morning other than work.

First up, big CJ. I shot this back in September of 2008. Worked well because I didn't have any classes on Friday so I arranged to do the shoot on a Friday. We arrive at Morris Mountain and go to work. I know this rig doesn't have coilovers but overall the craftsmanship and attention to detail was excellent. However Rules #3 and #8 were broken. We were wheeling by ourselves and had a mechanical failure. Basically, the alternator and battery died. We walked back to his tow rig and drove it up to The Gauntlet (you don't realize how capable these modern trucks are until you need it!) to work on something. We then had to drive everything out. I actually got to drive this rig. Overall, it felt like a big, hydro steering rig. The 5.0 mustang engine was a departure of what we normally see, but overall it was a nice rig.

Sucks because that was like, 4 years ago and I've never seen this rig since. In fact, really only ONE rig I've ever shot, I know the owner still has. Its kinda depressing, really. Oh well.

Enough of my blabber, here is what ya'll really want to see.

8260115214_7ca8725580.jpg
CJ-1 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

4267363549_d6c3b0f640.jpg
DSC_0316 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

4268110514_55b91173d7.jpg
DSC_0375 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

8259047785_126ca05f56.jpg
CJ-2 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

8259049537_787bf1cdf2.jpg
CJ-3 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

This one actually went to press, but it ended up as some back page filler. Which is crap because this rig was BADASS. The guy find an FJ45 that was pretty much rusted to crap. He took it and made a BAMF crawler out of it. I found him and scheduled a shoot. This was like, 2 days before Christmas. We met at Devil's Playground and went to work.

First off, on the drive up there, it was raining cats and dogs. As most of ya'll can imagine, off roading, let alone running around in the rain with my camera is bad news. A buddy of mine had shot a football game out in the rain and totaled his Canon 1DsII a couple months prior, so I was all jumpy about shooting in the rain. Unbelievably, LITERALLY are we rolled in and the skies parted and the sun came out. Epic win.

We got to work. He pulled the rig off the deckover trailer. I noticed the tires were overhanging the trailer by like, half a foot on each side. He told me that the rockwell axles had the hubs flipped out and he had to have the tires at 30 psi to put them on the trailer otherwise the rig wouldn't stay on the trailer. WOW. So we would be wheeling and all that crap at 30 psi...ok!

We get back in the woods. Anyone who has been to the playground knows it isn't that big. We wheel and wheel. Everything is going beautifully. We are almost out, and the damn thing dies. Broken rules #4 and #8, ran outta gas and wheeling by ourselves. Fortunately he had 12k winches front and rear, so he winched to level ground and was able to crank it again. This rig had an LQ4, custom frame, and custom everything. Its just a FJ45 in body panels.

Overall, probably my all time favorite shoot. Loved this rig. Once again, never saw it ever again. Was completely awesome. Also love Devil's Playground. I had a great relationship with the local crew out of there. Lost touch over the years but that is how it goes.

8260072756_4de454f826.jpg
FJ45-4 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

8260075188_7f80b1bea0.jpg
FJ45-5 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

8259002473_fc81acecde.jpg
FJ45-3 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

8259000475_b11c870d7f.jpg
FJ45-2 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

8258999279_e0e79cfab0.jpg
FJ45-1 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

I got this one up at Big Dogs Run in 2008. It was like, August? September? Either way, Big Dogs has always been bitter/sweet for me. First off, it is an AWESOME event. But for me working, it was always balls out. Seriously, start at like, 3pm on Friday and wrap up mid-morning Sunday. I guess I slept. Food and water was usually whatever anyone offered me. I'd go all out then crash at the Airport outside of Dulles and eat the biggest steak Longhorn offers (longhorn was right next to the hotel) and continue to gel out until my flight Monday morning, with enough time to get back in time to go to class.

This was one of the "35 minute" specials. I got back to camp at around 6pm. I had three rigs I wanted to shoot. This was the last of the three. It was getting dark and I had to drag my shutter speed, jack up my ISO, and use flash a lot. I saw this rig and figured it aligned itself with most people. Its a regular ole TJ with an aftermarket T-case, 1 tons, giant tires, and coilovers. Complete work in progress but he was out there wheeling it. It was big and cool. He called it "Fat Bottom". I can see that.

8259224887_7147187258.jpg
FB-1 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

8260296384_8a474934fb.jpg
FB-2 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
This shot took like, 5 times to get right. Its one of those shots that its more about luck than anything.

8259229121_84f65d3eea.jpg
FB-3 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
It looks like its daylight, but its just a long shutter speed. Handheld, I got this somehow.

8260300202_5cf8197b4b.jpg
FB-4 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
Afterwards for the detail shots, we went over by the lake and I got to work. Got some decent sunset photos with this one.

2914620989_54f2b37e3e.jpg
Fat Bottom by expeditionmax, on Flickr

4267370519_0d3ba33a8b.jpg
MAX_2283 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
His keychain was pretty badass

Yeah I have always like that 45. I've seen it at Harlan a few times.
So you have seen it recently? Last I saw it was December of 2007. Glad to hear it is still around and still running!

I declare, most of the rigs you see in the magazines either are sold shortly thereafter, torn down, or sitting under a tarp behind someones shop. Its kills me to know that these awesome rigs were built, then hardly used.

01tj

So you have seen it recently? Last I saw it was December of 2007. Glad to hear it is still around and still running!

I declare, most of the rigs you see in the magazines either are sold shortly thereafter, torn down, or sitting under a tarp behind someones shop. Its kills me to know that these awesome rigs were built, then hardly used.
Well in the past few years. I gotcha a rig to shoot that won't be sitting under a tarp behind my shop!!:grin:

Well in the past few years. I gotcha a rig to shoot that won't be sitting under a tarp behind my shop!!:grin:
If the article doesn't say panty dropper in big letters, I won't even read it.

I've always enjoyed seeing your pictures and articles max, you have an eye for photography that I wish I had.

Remember the Uwharrie 4x4Cross? Man, what a cluster. Complete-all-over-the-place Dukes Of Hazard style crazy. It really sucked because I think the competitors were the ones who got screwed over the most. As you can see, a lot of people put in a lot of effort for not a lot out.

It was funny because the guy who was in charge of the actual race (forgot his name), we talked a BUNCH on the phone. He told me about how the guy who put on the event was screwing him over or something negative like that. I was point blank with him and told him that he shouldn't put up with that crap. He is obviously capable of doing the work, why should the other dude get all the glory? Cut the crap, stick to the good stuff, and be awesome. He agreed with me. That was the last time I talked with him.

I think he went on to start his own series. ECORS or something. (end of my Forest Gump story)

Anywho, like I said, it was a bit of a cluster. A lot of people who were racing "whatever" as you can tell. Breakdowns and whatnots really slowed everything down. Compounded with how large the track actually was (Rocky Mount Loop at Uwharrie OHV). Don't get me wrong, there were LOTS of shows but the problem is that once you were on the track, you were there unless you got lucky by being near a trail intersection.

This is the only time I've driven my rover to an event shoot. The beadlock article doesn't count, fyi. I knew it was going to be a "on my own" situation all day so it was nice having my own vehicle and everything I needed in it. Met a lot of good people and had fun.

4254417936_b1701e4684.jpg
MAX_5500 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

This guy was nuts. He lost his tire but kept on going. You don't really know how little traction a rim gets off road until you see it in action. Oh yeah he was open f/r. He didn't make it up the hill, had to ride cable and sit the rest of the day out. Kinda depressing actually.

4254423102_ea39dcb361.jpg
MAX_5538 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

8279074450_a3170e05ba.jpg
U4x4-1 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

Sorry, but big burb racing off road? I mean, that is kinda awesome. Even if he didn't fit on the trail.

4254427454_f94ea4158f.jpg
MAX_5571 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

4254432620_ed4ea775ab.jpg
MAX_5579 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

He made it to Kodak Rock and then a tire fell off.

4254437246_bd58e01b78.jpg
MAX_5640 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

I think every rig had dixie air horns. It was AWESOME.

8278019739_c803e7a7b4.jpg
U4x4-2 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

For those who can't tell, this is what is left of a Subaru Outback. Darn thing actually did pretty good!

8279079548_14b5921ccc.jpg
U4x4-3 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

More awesomeness. Sorry I love things that aren't supposed to fly, flying.

8279082270_4f504a32eb.jpg
U4x4-4 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

This poor kid. He was in high school or something and decided to compete. He came off a jump and straight into a tree. You want to talk about a friggen mess!!?? Yeah, his entire suspension on that side was toast. I tried to help but there really wasn't anything I could do.

8279085754_eb926044b5.jpg
U4x4-5 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

This Chevy Tracker was kicking butt by the bushel all day. Super awesome little rig, actually.

8279088928_9b332dce83.jpg
U4x4-6 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

I have no idea how you do this, but I suspect it took all kinds of unusual crap to make it happen. However it was gone the next day so I guess they got it outta there!

8278035823_ac74e7a80c.jpg
U4x4-7 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

Poor dude. This is literally 100 feet from the start line. He nailed it and didn't make it. It was slick and he was supposed to zig but he zagged. You know how it goes.

8279098568_7ce8e79239.jpg
U4x4-9 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

I guess if you are gonna break, at the finish jump is the place to do it!

8279104688_7bc9d26044.jpg
U4x4-11 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

8278044667_e55664bfa9.jpg
U4x4-10 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

8279107206_90deeafe75.jpg
U4x4-12 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

This YJ brings so much win IMO.

8279095140_553bcd361f.jpg
U4x4-8 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

Travis Watford's old buggy. I rode in that buggy up through the Robbinsville trail. Good rig overall. Never found out what happened to it. I think he sold it because he has an ECORS buggy now. He really tears up that ride.