Suspension

Ok, so I finally got myself another Jeep. Picked up a 99 Sahara TJ today. It has a small lift on it now but I am wanting to improve it over the new few months or so. I had the RC 4" kit on my last Jeep and I have read about the RC 6" LA kit and I think I want to piece something together instead of just buying a kit this time. I was convinced I wanted to get a LA kit but after reading some of your comments I'm thinking I might be good with a nicely built short arm kit. If you guys were starting from scratch, what would you go with? Trying to keep it reasonably priced. I just picked up an 8.8 to swap in. Let's hear some suggestions. Thanks DJ

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
What are your goals for it? What size tires do you want to run, are you going to regear, lockers? Trail rig, driver, or crawler?

The 8.8 is geared and locked already 4.88s. So eventually I'll regear and lock the front as well. Don't plan to go bigger than 35s. Won't be an everyday driver but definitely want it streetable. I would like to build it to flex as much as possible. DJ

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
What is the lift that's already on it? I was considering the Rock Krawler X Factor 3.5 inch kit. I liked everything I read about it, but decided I didn't want to go quite that tall because I'm sticking with 33s. I ended up going with OME 2" springs and MetalCloak arms. I really like the way it turned out, and it rides pretty good, but I need to get upgraded shocks installed.

Last edited:
The guy said it was the biggest lift he could get without frame modifications? After I got there and met him it was clear he knew absolutely nothing about jeeps. It has aftermarket shocks and I think aftermarket springs but cant really tell. It does have factory control arms. He had 33s on it til the front two blew out and now it has 33s on back and 31s on front. I know, I know don't say it. Lol. The 33s do seem to clear fairly well in back.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Well, what I was getting at is if it already has decent springs, you can reuse them and spend $ on nicer control arms, trackbsrs, and shocks, instead of buying a "cheap" kit.

Well, what I was getting at is if it already has decent springs, you can reuse them and spend $ on nicer control arms, trackbsrs, and shocks, instead of buying a "cheap" kit.
Yea, thats what i was thinking of doIng but if the springs are aftermarket they are 2.5" at most. Since it does seem to fit the 33s"ok" I might just run it as is for a bit and piece some stuff together. Definitely gonna get adj. track bars. Still debating if I want to do long arms or not.

Yea, thats what i was thinking of doIng but if the springs are aftermarket they are 2.5" at most. Since it does seem to fit the 33s"ok" I might just run it as is for a bit and piece some stuff together. Definitely gonna get adj. track bars. Still debating if I want to do long arms or not.
You don't need longarms. Greg on this forum ran short arms for a while on 35's and his jeep flat out worked. Keep it simple and get good quality short arms from rokmen, savvy, metalcloak, etc.

From the sounds of it you don't need new springs, I say run what you got then upgrade springs later if you're unhappy.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
2.5 inch springs with a 1" body lift is perfect for 35s. That also gives you enough room to do a tummy tuck skid. That's my plan down the road.