Spill Clean-Up

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
During the OSCAR4 trip, I parked off the trail in front of lower rock garden pointing up hill. Quickly after parking, it was pointed out that I was leaking something out the back. It was my rear axle barfing gear oil out of the vent tube (because I over filled it). I moved the jeep so it was parked in the other direction to stop the spill. But it had already dropped at least half a quart on the ground (at least). I am normally as environmentally conscious as possible, but I did not have anything to even attempt to clean up my mess. So, I left it. Didn't feel too good about it and figured I would try to find a resolution for the future.

I started looking for some sort of Trail Kit to clean-up spills of the "OIL" nature. I have found about 8 or 9 "KITS" that have been publicized but none are currently for sale. I found a quick set of items to make your own spill kit on expeditionportal.

..A simple spill kit at home can consist of:
1-five gallon bucket or heavy duty lawn/trash bags (to use as recovery bags)
1- bag of kitty liter
1 - pair of latex gloves
1- can or more of brake cleaner for clean up of tools or concrete
1- bag or roll of wipes for spill clean up, even blue shop towels
and orange hand cleaner with pumice for scrubbing clean items and hands..

And I also found a set of kits sold for truckers which currently look like the most promising.
http://absorbentsonline.com/spillkits.htm

Does anyone carry a kit on the trail? If so, what brand or if you made it, what is in it?

Interesting Idea, I carry extra trashbags in the trasharoo that we have used to catch oil in, but I havent looked into cleaning it up once its already spilled. I'm interested in what you find out.

I would think "diligence" would be to have a couple square foot absorbent pads stuck in the tool bag. Chase keeps some of these around in just about all of his vehicles. You cant carry everything for what if scenarios....Especially in a jeep.

I have PIG absorbent towels. They are designed to only absorb oil and gas. Lets me pull the oil right off the top of running water if I have to. I carry those, a small garden shovel, shop towels, and heavy trash bags. They all fit into a small harbor freight ammo can, but I will probably switch it up and put them in a welding rod holder next time that is mounted to the cage. For coolant I don't normally worry about it. I run straight water unless it is winter time and then I don't normally wheel. Diapers are nice for a small leak. You can wrap it up and keep wheeling.

I hardly think with the amount of strip mining, buried equipment, abandoned mines, trash in the river, and those are only things we can see, i don't see Harlan county being to worried if the Exxon Valdez ran ashore again. Im not a fan of leaky fluids though.

I carry a shovel. If i have a spill I can dig up the dirt and throw it in a bag. Usually just use it for pooping though. I just cant poop on top of the ground....gotta cover it up like a cat