Someone Recommend Me a new Laptop

I know some of you guys are much more tech savvy than I. I thought I was going to be able to run the majority of my programs with my work PC, but too many things require admin rights to load and I have to get IT approval every time which is about impossible when they are in indiastan....

So, I will be running a 3D CAD program (Fusion 360), Sheet Cam, and the Fire Control software.

good questions, i know laptops have come a long way, I have a dell laptop for work now that runs CAD and my other programs. 5 years ago these programs would have laughed at any laptop that DOT would purchase, so I know the technology is getting cheaper. Good luck in your quest.

OK, So...You don't want A new laptop.
You want 2 New Computers.

My recommendation is to separate your processes. Put your Design on one computer and your control on a separate machine. Nothing worse than having to move a laptop around all day in the shop. Your cutting position probably wont be comfortable to sit at to design parts, and vise versa.

Since the plasma table is not really portable (your not taking it in the house) I would grab a cheap refurbished Dell desktop. Something like this unit. This machine is should be fine for Cad/Cam/Control software.

You can build yourself a nice cart to mount it on. Pick for monitor (Touch Screen is an option, but not ideal in a metal shop).

The laptop is really a matter of budget. Cheaper laptops are going to be plastic chassis, with crappy hinges and don't expect more than a couple years out of it, until it just falls apart. Ive moved most of my customers as well as my personal machine to DELL XPS, they are pricey but have a all aluminum chassis with carbon fiber guts and have lots of options, Including upgradability (Ram/Storage) in the 15/17inch models.

Maybe this helps.

PS. I have 2 Computers in my shop at home (General use/Design, CNC Router) 99% of the time I design everything in the house in my office. All of my files are stored on the network so i can just walk out and open them up. I do the same thing at work, design in my office, save to the network cut in the shop.

Not really sure I follow why i'd want to have two computers....I had considered using a dedicated desktop at the table since I have one that is well suited....

To me simpler is better. The more space things take up and having multiple computers sounds like a disaster to me. I am NOT an IT guy.

I'd much prefer one really nice laptop that will do all of the required things well.

Granted, I have a Dell quite similar to what is posted I could rig up stationary in the shop. My issue is no internet service to the shop due to the metal building issue we've discussed fixes to before. I have everything I need to get that going but to me having one system is much simpler, especially in the present. Down the road I may rig up the dedicated control PC in the shop..

So the other main reason i don't recommend a laptop is gravity and dust. I hate to see a super nice/powerful computer in the dirt and grim floating around in a shop, not to mention next to a plasma table. Desktops are much easier to open up the side panel and let her have it with a air gun, Laptops not so much. The second part of my statement is the likeliness of a laptop getting knocked off in the shop it much higher.

Bonus points: If your plasma table is in the middle of a 30 minute cut job and you want to work on a design, do you really wanna have to sit next to the machine while its running?

Just some of the things i've done to make my workflow more efficient with CNCs in the shop.

The network thing is the bomb. I do this at work so no matter where I am wether it be different building, home, or one of my two offices it's like I'm on the same machine.

Well maybe I need to get some fancy tech guy help.

I have a pretty good desktop tower I could easily rig up in the shop. It doesn't have a wireless card, but I do have a wireless adapter for it that works OK. Maybe I just need to schedule Tripp and Jimbo for a shop day to brainstorm this situation. I buy beer and cook you food while yall tell me fancy computer things.

Well maybe I need to get some fancy tech guy help.

I have a pretty good desktop tower I could easily rig up in the shop. It doesn't have a wireless card, but I do have a wireless adapter for it that works OK. Maybe I just need to schedule Tripp and Jimbo for a shop day to brainstorm this situation. I buy beer and cook you food while yall tell me fancy computer things.
Dis is good