S.C House passes conceal carry bill

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'm conflicted on this and could make arguments for either side...

I read your FB post and I agree.

If you focus on the Shall not be infringed, do you think criminals who have served their time after violent crimes or the mentally unstable should still be allowed to own firearms? Constitutionally yes, realistically no...

As far as the CWP class, I grew up around guns. Safe handling and use of firearms is second nature to me but I still learned something in the class (legal). The shooting test is stupid easy, but people still fail it. Proving that you could hit a threat and not the bystander 3 ft to the right seems important...

One thing I can't stand about CWP rules is reciprocity. Its entirely too confusing to know where you can and can't carry. It makes no sense that I can carry in NC, but not GA, unless I go get a Utah permit...

Last edited:
I love the rise guys, they get me through the morning everyday.

I like guns, grew up shooting them, hunting and respecting them. When i was young, elementary school i think i took a hunters safety class which i think is now required to get your hunting license. I learned from a young age what owning caring for and respecting guns meant. I don't own a lot of guns, but i do enjoy them and would like to own more, and plan on getting my CWP.

I know a lot of ppl with their CWP and if anything it should be harder to own and carry a gun. The class is educational enough that whoever chooses to carry a gun on them should be exposed to it.

Not to sound like an anti-gun democrat fag, but the majority of the people i know that have their CWP, i don't think should be able to actually have a gun, much less carry them.

Living right on the border here in Augusta, I can tell you it's a PITA to stay legal every time I cross into SC. Take off, unload, lock up, etc. just to go grab lunch. Personally I'm glad to see a change that avoids that process. I haven't read into it to understand how SC residents are effected. From my understanding, all SC needed to do to get GA to reciprocate was to allow GA permits.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Living right on the border here in Augusta, I can tell you it's a PITA to stay legal every time I cross into SC. Take off, unload, lock up, etc. just to go grab lunch. Personally I'm glad to see a change that avoids that process. I haven't read into it to understand how SC residents are effected. From my understanding, all SC needed to do to get GA to reciprocate was to allow GA permits.
Which is being voted on in the current session I believe. GA requirements are less stringent than SC which is why SC has not allowed GA to date.

It doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. Statistically CWP holders are among (if not the) demographic with the lowest crime rate. Ideally I'd like to see this coupled with more gun education in public schools. No amount of head-in-sand behavior from urban lawmakers will change the fact that guns are all around us. Kids might as well learn to handle them properly.

This is the next step toward open carry. I'm all for it. How many thugs are gonna rob the store when there are people in there with a pistol on their side

Statistically CWP holders are among (if not the) demographic with the lowest crime rate.
I presume that is probably the case in both states.

This is the next step toward open carry. I'm all for it. How many thugs are gonna rob the store when there are people in there with a pistol on their side
I'm not against open carry (which is legal in GA), but I personally won't do it. Like you said, it could make a criminal think twice if he sees armed people. I think it makes the armed person a potential target if someone is going to commit the crime anyways. Take out the guy you see with the gun first.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I'm not against open carry (which is legal in GA), but I personally won't do it. Like you said, it could make a criminal think twice if he sees armed people. I think it makes the armed person a potential target if someone is going to commit the crime anyways. Take out the guy you see with the gun first.
Absolutely agree with you on that. I would much rather have a gun and the criminal not know it.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I like the open carry. I feel it keeps the world in check. Like dean said... Prime example.
Responsible people yes. But you'll also have oblivious idiots walking around with pistols on their side which makes them an easy target. Consider this:

Thug walks into a gas station unarmed (or with a knife, bat, etc) planning to rob the place. You're standing in line not paying attention with a gun on your side. Thug attacks you, gets control of your weapon, and now is a bigger threat.

2nd scenario. Same thug, you're standing in line carrying concealed. Thug walks in, sees no threat, pays attention to cashier, giving you time to draw while his back is to you, and you control the situation.

I'd rather have #2...

We can argue all day long. But i will be totin' my piece now. So that makes me happy. The .gov doesn't know I own guns, and I get get carry. win win

It still has to pass the Senate, and if it does still cant carry in other states. I took my CWP class today at Staggs Defense with my wife and 44 other people.

It still has to pass the Senate, and if it does still cant carry in other states. I took my CWP class today at Staggs Defense with my wife and 44 other people.
And Haley has to sign it. Personally I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd be HIGHLY surprised if this becomes law.

FWIW, growing up in NC and visiting home every weekend I don't recall ever seeing anyone open carry despite it being legal. If anything it's considered bad manners I'd guess.

Last edited:
I support the right to carry but I still think you need to have some kind of education/test that allows you to carry. Most people argue against this saying that is government regulation and the 2nd amendment clearly states the right to bear arms will not be infringed. I don't believe taking a test that proves you can shoot is infringing on your right. If you can't shoot a gun, why should you be able to carry one and have the possibility of firing in a crowded location. Society as well as the weapons we are carrying today are a hell of a lot different than it was in 1776. If you want to carry, take the one day it takes to prove it, and then carry all you want.

And apparently my argument here I am about to make is invalid because driving is not a constitutional right, but the principal to me is the same. Would you want everyone who turns 16 to be able to drive without having to prove it to anyone? Imagine trying to drive on our streets if it was like that. I feel the same way about carrying a gun. Walking the steets with any average joe carrying their glock thinking they are Jerry Miculek is going to result in the wrong person getting killed.

Ill Probably touch a nerve here too, But in addition to the CWP requirements NOT being changed, I wouldn't mind a mandatory refresher course upon renewal, Its been over 5 years since i have taken the class i know the laws have changed. Maybe not a full day course but a quick confirmation you can still hit the paper and a hour or 2 reviewing the laws. Same goes for a drivers license, I think the renewal process should be slightly more complicated than sending in a check.