Ride Royal Blue

Has anyone ever been up there?

https://www.rideroyalblue.com/home

Doesn't look like it would be any crawling or not much at all, but for a scenic long weekend of being in the mountains it seems like it could be a ton of fun. 200+miles of trails.

I had never heard of it before last week. Now I want to go and check it out. The pictures of the area look incredible.

I find scenic trips more entertaining than crawling. Although I am not too keen on charging those of us that are out-of-state 2.5x as much...

I just looked it up. It looks like a great place but I can't understand the mark up for out of state residents. Once you factor everything else involved with getting there and camping or cabin that place really adds up to an expensive weekend. That much money gets me a long long ways west to free trails and free camping.

The 2x as much for out of state is because it isn't actually a private park. It is Tennessee land and owned by the state. You are paying for a Tennessee OHV permit. This makes all the amenities of the park a little more since that is how they make their money. At $37 a rig it is cheaper than Windrock if you have a passenger with you. Shoot it is almost cheaper than what I pay to wheel Harlan once a year. Annual passes are only nice if you get the chance to go more often.

I don't think it compares with out west, but I have only had free camping out there once. A park that is only 4 hours away is completely different than one that is 2000 miles away. I could get up there for a long weekend and ride more miles than normal. The camping isn't much more than other parks. The cabins are definitely on the pricey side of things. The trail pics look pretty cool though.

More information:

http://www.ironjeep.com/

Royal blue is close, but I don't think they connect. I mean, with a short drive on pavement they do.

Wilderness Trails off road park is pretty cool. However all of the trails are overgrown so its mainly become a SxS/ATV/dirtbike park. I scratched the crap out of the new paint on the rover driving through there (crappy paint job anyway so it doesn't matter). I drove part of the day and just got tired of having every leaf, twig, and spider in the place coming into the cab. It was so bad I said screw it and left the next day. Sucks because if they could open up the trails, it would be a fantastic place to take a stock/mild vehicle. You could just ride out there for days.

I have passed wilderness a few times leaving Harlan on my way to Windrock. Never have stopped by. I am basically starting to look for places to take the Jeepster. It will be a while before it is ready so I am going to explore a little more in my buggy. That way, I can take the wife once I have a clue where I am going. After a couple good trips on the east coast the plan is to head west.