Rear Bumper and Swingout Parts Resources

So I have been building rear bumpers and swingouts for a while now and it seems there are always new products on the market for tire carriers these days.

My goal in this thread is to document some of the new products and where you can get them, as well as outline some of the other ways of building carriers.

Latch Options:

PolyPerformance Latch

Destaco Style Clamp Latch

Screw Style: BigDaddy Offroad Screw Pin style Latch.

AtoZ T-handle Latch Assembly

Destaco @ McMaster

4x4Innovations

Hinge Options:

AtoZ sells a new HD Hinge Kit

Comp4x4 HD Hinge

Comp4x4 HD Double Shear Hinge

TMR Customs hinge

Summit Machine Bombproof Hinge

Dana 44 Locking Hub Hinge

Wheel Mounting Plates:

AtoZ fab wheel mount plates

TMR Wheel plate

Shackle Mounts:

AtoZ shackle mounts

TMR Offset Hole Mounts

Sinister Fab Offset Shackle Mount

Other Build Ideas:

Lambo Door Hinge Design

Dana 44 Locking Hub Hinge

Body Mounted Swingout using Hiem Joints

Body and frame mounted swing up similar to Poison spyder's rear Stinger Carrier

Last edited:
Thought about letting it swing open with the tail gate? (no latch ) All major brands for jk's seem to work well.
I dont think the TJ latch is up to the task really. I know the Bestop kit is just so so. And also I have been nudged more than once by my spare tire, I dont want it caving in my tailgate because of it.

I deleted some of the posts in here to clean up the chatting and have more parts resources. I mentioned that the ford spindle was thin and may crack like some of the smaller trailer spindles and it was probably a stupid assumption. I was wrong about it being weaker.

I think the reason people were having trouble out of the smaller spindles was because of the welding process on top of the bumper. If you have room for a spindle to bolt on top it would be a good way to do it with a little custom work to the spindle and hub.

Has anyone seen any other latching methods that seem to work well? LOD used to use, and may still use a slam latch, but when I had my LOD bumper it wasn't what I would call rattle free. Although it was convenient.

I know joe mentioned using the stock TJ tailgate latch, has anyone seen a bumper mounted carrier that was latched with the stock TJ tailgate latch that worked well? I was searching online this morning for a build.

I'm wondering if the JK latch mechanism is superior to the TJ design?

Whats wrong with your rear bumper you have on your Jeep now?
can't open the hardtop back window with it. I didnt have a hardtop when I built it. The tire carrier hinge needs to be about 3/4" more towards the passenger side in order to open the glass when the tire is swung open. It would be easier to build a new one than to hack this one up.