OffroadSC goes West, Again Again....

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
It's getting real. A month from tomorrow we'll be in the air on the way to Denver. I probably won't be posting on social media while we're gone, but I may post some highlights here.

I started planning this trip last fall, wanting to tow the camper and sight see along the way. No matter how I tried, it ended up with too much travel time and not enough time out there. Right around that time @matth_85 posted their trip and I had already started thinking that was the way to go.

We're flying round trip to Denver, non stop flights from GSP, early flight out and late return. Tuesday we'll get the rental JLU in Denver and drive to Colorado Springs. Hotel night there, do some supply shopping, etc. Hit Pike's Peak Wednesday morning and head to Silverton for 3 nights. Saturday we'll head to Moab and spend 4 nights. Wednesday we'll roll out for Denver return.

I have a lot planned already but a couple days with nothing set and afternoons free. If anyone has input on things not to miss, please let me know.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
8/2: travel. Garden of the Gods, night in Manitou Springs.

8/3: Pike's Peak 8:00am timed entry. Then drive to Silverton.

8/4: Durango railroad

8/5:

8/6: Drive to Moab via Ophir and Telluride.

8/7: Arches 8:00am timed entry

8/8: Twisted Jeeps rental
Fins and Things, Hell's Revenge, ?

8/9:

8/10: Return drive to DEN.

Additional things I'd like to do
CO:
some portions of the Alpine Loop

UT:
Gemini Bridges
Moab Giants (dinosaurs)
Sand dunes?
Dead Horse Point / Shafer Trail

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
On the 9th Travis is working at Canyonlands and would be a great resource for things to take in.
We will probably end up doing the Shafer trail into Canyonlands that day. The dinosaurs and Gemini Bridges are all in that general area so I guess it will depend on what we've gotten to earlier in the week.

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Already got flight change emails.... nothing significant but hoping we don't have issues. Our flight out is first of the day so shouldn't have a problem, but coming back is last flight out...

Coming back is not as important. If you're stuck, work understands...lol

We did our trip very from the fly last year and had an absolute blast. I'd highly recommend hitting some of the alpine loop. We did a little in the snow and wished it would have been more do-able.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Coming back is not as important. If you're stuck, work understands...lol

We did our trip very from the fly last year and had an absolute blast. I'd highly recommend hitting some of the alpine loop. We did a little in the snow and wished it would have been more do-able.
I already told my boss and boss' boss that we're getting back to GSP around 11:00 pm and I probably "won't be all here" on Thursday.

We will probably end up doing the Shafer trail into Canyonlands that day. The dinosaurs and Gemini Bridges are all in that general area so I guess it will depend on what we've gotten to earlier in the week.
I think Shafer Trail was one of our highlights. There was nothing challenging (heck we had sprinter vans passing us), but it was relaxing. Put the wifey behind the wheel and she enjoyed it a lot. The up-close view of the Potash ponds is cool too. 1657136770693.png

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
So the trip started off a little screwy, literally, the plane was missing a screw and delayed us almost 2 hours. The maintenance guy had to drive to the other side of the airport to get a screw. Then I'm pretty sure he dropped and lost that one because he was looking around on the ground then drove off again. But, we finally got to Denver, picked up our rental jeep, and made our way to CO Springs.
20220802_124100.jpg

We stopped by Walmart to get a cooler and some snacks, then we ran into this guy.
20220802_160551.jpg

Tim toured us around Garden of the Gods then went to Rudy's BBQ for dinner.

20220802_170531.jpg
20220802_171830.jpg

When we picked up the jeep the left rear was showing low. After Garden of the Gods we drove through a little shower and when the tires cooled the tpms warning popped. I found a gas station by the hotel with free air and inflated it, and saw the nail bubbling since the tire was wet. So the night ended with a trip back to Walmart for a tire plug kit...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Today started with an 8:00 AM timed entry pass to Pike's Peak. We were one of the first through the gate so worked out well with no traffic on the way up.
20220803_084608.jpg
20220803_092007.jpg
20220803_090149.jpg
20220803_090154.jpg

We had a long drive day to Silverton and my phone was navigating. Burgundy took some pictures along the way I'll try to post later.

Made it to the loft in Silverton.
20220803_173515.jpg
20220803_185605.jpg

Then went to Golden Block Brewery and Pizza.
20220803_181359.jpg

And ended with a game of Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza.
20220803_194155.jpg

Today started with an 8:00 AM timed entry pass to Pike's Peak. We were one of the first through the gate so worked out well with no traffic on the way up.
View attachment 22999
View attachment 23002
View attachment 23000
View attachment 23001

We had a long drive day to Silverton and my phone was navigating. Burgundy took some pictures along the way I'll try to post later.

Made it to the loft in Silverton.
View attachment 23003
View attachment 23004

Then went to Golden Block Brewery and Pizza.
View attachment 23005

And ended with a game of Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza.
View attachment 23006
Any problem with the elevation difference? You had mentioned you were worried about it.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
What was your thoughts on the train?
Everybody enjoyed it. The stop at the top could be a little longer. We ate lunch and the kids dipped their feet in the water for a few minutes then it was time to pack up. It was also unusually warm which made the portion from town until you start to climb a little uncomfortable.