Off Road Trailer

I have the majority of the steel I need, so im starting on my trailer build. I already have the basic design laid out in my head, so ....
Frame will be 1.5"x3" tube. I figured that a 4'x5' trailer will do the trick. Most likely the body will be 20"deep, made of .5"x2" slat board. I'll make a bow top canvas tonneau to keep her dry, and possibly a fold out gas grill on the rear. I'm gonna use some OE wheels & cheap AT's, hung on a set of Cherokee springs. I'm trying to make the build less than $500, so it's gonna be a budget trailer. I'll have some pics up soon!

There was actually a WWII video on the jeep, and trailer being floated across a river. Trailer floats with a 500# load. The jeep was the scary thing to float. I'll post a link if I can find it again.

1000/1500# respective of its tongue length.
I'm planning on making it with interchangeable pintle loop, and ball cup style mounts. I'm aiming on it being done by mid Feb.

Added the reinforcements to the frame, and support for the floor. I also got the receiver welded in for the tongue. It's slowly coming together.
Any thoughts on using a standard trailer axle, radius arm setup, and tj rear coils?
e2c8d0b9.jpg

I cant see the pics at work, but whatever you do for an axle do not use the torflex or similar, they will not hold up to the abuse of offroad and will sag and fail eventually.

I dont know if I would use TJ coils by themselves as they are really soft and would squat under load. The good thing about leaf springs is that they are progressive.

I also thought about a set of airbags, but then you have the reliability issue. Coils would considerably lower the capacity, but provide a smoother tow behind the jeep. Not to mention how easy a radius arm setup would be, and easily maintained!. I can get a complete axle assembly with springs for around $175, but I just hate the rough, bouncy trailer behind the jeep.
I'm seriously considering a set of coils, and the airlift coil bags to increase capacity.

I have used CJ springs behind mine and really never noticed any bounce of rough behavior. If you use the small trailer only springs, it is a hell ride.

I have decided to ditch the idea of a floatable trailer. I want to do it, but it's not a necessity. I'm more inclined to have a tailgate, and be able to access my gear more easily! I'm having a hard debate on building material for the floor and body. Wood is the easy choice, but UV HDPE is nearly indestructible, will never rot, and can be repaired if needed. It's $115 a sheet though!

wood is easy. each time i made a steel floor traielr tub i always wanted a wood floor to prevent the floor from getting dented. this time it is just plywood, easy to replace. I used carriage bolts to hold it to the frame. And if you make a top for it, you dont have to worry so much for the floor to rot out.

It will have a canvas tonneau cover, and some gas shocks to heave it upright!
I am thinking 1/2 marine for the floor, and 1/4 for the walls. I'll spray it all down with bedliner in and out.
I really want the HDPE, but like I said.....$$$$$$